twelve

Zach didn't quite know how he got himself into this. Dinner at the Stanford household? It was bound to be full of personal questions that he didn't necessarily know the answer to right now, but he decided to just go with it. How bad could it really be? So he just pulled out his nicest button down shirt and a nice pair of black jeans. He ran a comb through his hair and grabbed some fruit from off his counter. He chopped it up and arranged it to look nice. He wasn't Jack's boyfriend anymore so the least he could do for Kristin was bring something for the dinner.

Just as Zach finished, he heard a knock on the door. Grabbing the fruit plate he headed for the door. Upon opening, it he saw Jack standing there. He wore a Lacoste dress shirt and some jeans. It was the basically the same thing that Zach was wearing, yet Zach still felt underdressed.

"You ready to go?" Jack asked with a smile on his face.

"Yup. Is uh... Gabbie coming?" Zach asked hesitantly, he didn't really want to be stuck with Gabriela all night. Jack just shook his head and Zach felt his mood greatly improved. He followed Jack to his car and got in. The two didn't talk much while driving so Zach started fiddling with the radio. Finally he left it on the local station and eventually started humming along.

"You know, I still sort of wonder what would've happened if I'd gone into country music." Jack announced unexpectedly.

Zach tried to not let bitterness creep into his voice when he said, "Well.... you didn't." He truly hadn't intended to sound harsh but it sounded bad anyway.

Jack just sighed, "Yeah, I know I didn't."

Zach really felt the need to apologize. "Look, I'm sorry. Just a little bit nervous."

Jack nodded, he gave Zach a sympathetic smile. "I would tell you my mom won't be too weird, but I can't promise that." He said that as they pulled into the driveway of a house.

It was a two-story craftsmen style house. The exact one Zach remembered sneaking into each night to be with Jack each night. It brought back a lot of fond memories, some of which perhaps, he shouldn't be thinking about before going in to see adults.

"You ready?" Jack asked him, he just nodded in response. The two got out of the car and walked to the front door, Jack rang the doorbell. Soon it flung open.

"Oh Jack!! It's so good to see you, it's been way too long." She added the last bit sternly. The dark haired woman didn't let him answer though because she focused in on Zach.

"Zach Herron. I haven't seen you in forever. It's about time you came back around." She drawled, her southern accent thickening.

"Yes ma'm I'll try and get 'round here more often." He told her. She nodded in satisfaction. The two followed her inside, there he saw Ava, Sydney and the littlest member of the family of the family, Isla.

"Ooh, I like your hair Jack." Sydney said, she motioned to Jack's head, it was brown and wavy, not the curls he had when he left, "It's better than the blonde or purple." Zach liked Jack's new hair. He wasn't about to say it out loud though.

"Yeah, I think so to. I see you lost the pink." She nodded at Jack.

"Yup, decided to keep it natural for awhile." There was a few moments of silence and then Ava spoke,

"Is Gabbie here or no?"

Kristin looked shocked and horrified, "Ava we would be glad to have her." The look on Kristin's face belied that statement. Ava murmured something unintelligible in response and Zach gave a little chuckle. Then Kristin started talking again, "Let's go eat. I don't want to hear another word out of any of you."

Dinner was served and Zach thought that it looked delicious. There was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, collared greens and more. It was a true southern dinner, something Zach hadn't had in a long time... not since he'd moved out at least.

He felt something land on his arm and he looked down to see a piece of the sweet corn they'd been eating. He tried to look around the table inconspicuously. A giggle from next to him gave away the answer. Isla had a small smile on her face. He just pretended he didn't notice, Zach figured it wouldn't be considered socially acceptable to start a food fight with a twelve year old.

So the dinner went on and desert was served, it was a blueberry pie. As pieces were being served, Jack's phone rang.

"Um... sorry, I've got to take this." Everyone nodded and it sort of made Zach feel awkward. Nothing awkward had happened yet but now... if it did who would be there to help him? He had just begun to eat his pie when his worst fears was confirmed.

"So why did you and Jack break up?" Sydney asked. She didn't look like she was trying to cause harm and Zach figured she probably didn't know. Sydney had been away at college when him and Jack had started dating. He took a deep breath and said,

"It was just... um our lives were taking us different places." He told her. It was the best way he could put it, without letting emotions creep into his thoughts and speech.

"Yeah, Jack went to L.A. and then things-" Ava had started to say but Jack had come back into the room.

"Zach, can I talk to you?" He asked. Zach nodded and got up from the table. Jack led him out to the porch. He started to speak,

"So that was my manager. He called to say that I'm the headliner at some Fourth of July festival. In the Smoky Mountains."

Zach didn't know what to say. Did he expect Jack to stay forever? Not really. Did he expect him to leave so soon? Not really. So did Zach know what his problem was? Absolutely not. Finally, he managed to get some words out, "Oh, w-well... then I guess it was good seeing you around." He muttered. Trying to not let any sort of emotion creep into his voice. He hated that Jack could still trigger these feelings, they weren't even dating anymore.

Jack looked a little nervous and scratched the back of his neck as he said, "That's um... the thing. Since you're a new producer, the record label wants you there. To show you off and shit like that."

Zach didn't think that could possibly be true. "Are you asking me to come with you?" He asked, trying to keep his voice light hearted.

Jack just gave him a smile, "It seems like it."

"Well then, when do we leave?"

"On Friday." Zach realized that today was actually Thursday.

"Tomorrow?" Jack just nodded. Zach sighed, "Well I should probably go home and pack."

The two went back inside, and Jack told his family the news. They were happy that he was getting this opportunity but saddened by the fact that he Jack was leaving again. Zach wished his family could still be like that... but they weren't.

The two rode back to Zach's place and yet again, as he was about to leave, Jack caught his wrist. Zach had a feeling he knew where this was going, but he did nothing to stop it. "What?"

"I had one more thing to say." Jack whispered.

"Well then say it." Zach whispered, feeling his cheeks heat up. Jack leaned forward and pressed his lips into Zach's. He knew it was coming this time so he let his lips move against Jack's.

His lips were soft and still tasted of the desert they'd just eaten. Zach's eyes widened a bit as he felt Jack's tongue poking at his lips.

He opened his mouth, allowing entrance. Their tongues clashed and Zach soon found himself halfway to the backseat. Suddenly, he pushed Jack off.

"I'll see you tomorrow." He said and almost fell out of the car when he opened the door. He ignored Jack's protests all the way into the house.

When the door shut behind him, Zach found himself thinking that this could possibly be the worst idea he'd ever had.