I got into my car and finally let myself cry. I cried so hard, my chest was cramping and I was hyperventilating as I tried to catch my breath. I leaned against my car door and sobbed into my hand, now getting covered in snot and tears. That weight of the world that I felt on my shoulders was crushing me down, and I couldn't take it anymore.

It took a while, but I finally began to settle down. My cheeks were hot against my hands as I wiped my tears away and I blew my nose with a napkin I found in my cupholder. I leaned back against my chair and pulled the sun visor down and slid open the mirror.

My eyes were still glistening, but I couldn't stop looking at how red and puffy they were. My skin was hot and blotchy, with shiny marks of where my tears traveled down my cheeks. I quickly pulled the visor back up and rubbed my eyes with my fingers. Once I was ready, I drove back home.

I know that crying doesn't fix anything, but it felt good to let it all out. I really should talk to someone about this because I know it's not good to keep it bottled up inside. I did that for years, and all it did was cause more issues. I just don't want anyone to think that this job is too hard on me. I know I can handle it, but sometimes it can be a little too much.

I decided not to go back in for the groceries. There was no way I'd be able to walk past the milk again like it was nothing. Hopefully Tom won't be too tired after work and he'd be willing to go back tonight. I know that he will understand why I had to leave.

I spent the rest of the morning anxiously cleaning the entire apartment. I got into a groove, so I cleaned our bathroom, the bedroom, living room, and got started on the kitchen. The only break I took was to take Swayze on a little walk so he could burn some energy. It helped keep my mind occupied so I didn't spiral again. Swayze has become such a great emotional support for me, and he is just the cutest little guy. He is my little ball of sunshine and I tell him every day.

I was in the middle of washing the dishes when I heard keys jingle outside the door. My eyebrows stitched together as I glanced at the clock and saw that it was just after three in the afternoon, so I was surprised that Tom was home from work already. I glanced over my shoulder to see the door open and Tom was getting dragged in by Doug.

I wiped my hands with a towel and asked, "hey, what's going on?"

"Tom got into a bit of a pickle over at West Jefferson High School," Doug answered and carried Tom to the couch. Tom's arm was over his shoulders, and Doug dropped him at the couch. Doug continued, "someone over there rattled his brain. I think he has a concussion."

I threw the damp towel on the counter and turned off the faucet. I walked up to Tom and Doug and noticed cotton was shoved up his bleeding nose. Tom was staring at the wall, as if he was looking through it. He blinked slowly, and breathed out his open mouth. Tom is a tough guy, and can throw a strong punch. He must have been taken by surprise, because I have never seen him like this after a fight before.

"Did he get a nose bleed?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's not broken though. I checked," Doug said.

"That's good. Hey, Tom, are you okay?" I asked and gently rubbed his shoulder.

"My head hurts," he said bluntly and allowed his heavy eyes to close.

"He said earlier that his ears were ringing. He's been dazed all afternoon, and I think his vision is a little wonky," Doug said and shoved his hands in his pockets. "He wouldn't let me take him to the hospital, but I'm sure he will be fine. We just have to make sure that he doesn't fall asleep."