D stands for... - Part 5

He did end up in Boston this time. On Lydia's sofa, with a tub of vegan B&J. Because Lydia was good like that, yet with a cruel streak."So," s
he said casually, sitting next to him on the sofa. The contrast between them couldn't be bigger: Stiles dressed in joggers and an old T-shirt (he came in late last night and hadn't dressed for the day yet, nor did he plan to) and Lydia in a cutting edge pant suit, sipping from a cup of coffee from her expensive loose beans machine. "You caught a case of the feelings."

"Did not," Stiles denied between two bites of ice cream. Which was a very normal choice for breakfast food; anybody who disagreed could go fuck themselves. Except Lydia, of course, because she disagreed but still let him have it. "Whoever told you that is a big, fat liar."

"Denial isn't going to get you anywhere."

Stiles huffed. "The Nile is a river in Egypt."

Lydia rolled her eyes at him. "Okay, fine. We're gonna pretend for a minute you're not in love with Derek." She glared him into submission when he opened his mouth to deny that very untrue statement. "Why are you so hellbent on Derek having to share every little part of his life with his girlfriend?"

"It's not a little part of his life!" He quickly swallowed the ice cream that covered his tongue. "He is a freakin' werewolf. It's who he is!"
The disappointment on Lydia's face could be about either of two things: talking with his mouth full or being stupid. Both of which, to be fair, could happen at the same time.
"Alright, alright, most people don't even know supernatural creatures exist. And Derek's family got killed just for being werewolves. Still! I think Derek deserves someone he can be himself with, without having to hide."

"I don't think he's hiding on purpose." Lydia shrugged minutely. "He's a born werewolf, he doesn't know better than keeping that part of him hidden from society. It's always been that way for him. Have you ever considered why he doesn't share it with his partners?"

"Because he doesn't trust them." The answer came out quick, yet when Stiles thought about it, he couldn't come to any other conclusion. "Which I get, because most of those girls he didn't date for very long and he doesn't really have the best track record when it comes to dating. But he's been doing better, you know? The girls he dates now are perfectly normal, not homicidal maniacs."

"So he's doing pretty well," Lydia stated, with a sharp eye on Stiles. "He dates ordinary, sane women, has regular relationships. Maybe he just wants a normal life for once. I think we can all use a little bit of that, after the crazy years we've had." She looked over to him to watch for his reluctant nod of agreement. "Besides, we all have things we don't talk about. Derek doesn't broadcast being a wolf, so what? Do you tell every one of your dates about getting possessed?"

He frowned at her for the low blow, though he knew it wasn't meant like that. After all, Lydia had intimate knowledge about having someone control you, having someone make you do things that you didn't want to do.
"That was in my past. It's over. Derek's wolf is in his present, it is literally a part of him."

Lydia smiled sadly. "Your past is part of you too, especially when it's caused you so much grief. Maybe Derek wants to leave the wolf behind."

"That's..." The idea of Derek renouncing the wolf part of him, because it had brought him so much pain and sorrow, made Stiles' throat close up. He pushed the ice cream container up on the edge of the coffee table and curled in on himself on the sofa. Here he was, bugging Derek about not sharing his whole story with his partners, when the man in question maybe wanted to forget that part of him existed.

A fine hand landed softly on his head, slender fingers combing through his hair. "What do you want from him, Stiles?"

He had his knees pulled up to his chest and his arms wrapped around them, yet still his heart tried to escape from his chest, his lungs getting stiff from keeping his heart in place. He swallowed heavily. "For him to be happy?"