14~ copycat

"Okay, I'm off to work. Can I get you anything for when I come back? I can stop by the house and pick up anything you want from your room," his mother said

"Maybe just some more books. I'm tired of rereading the same ones," Shirabu yawned. His mother nodded and gave him a peck on his forehead before she left off. Shirabu picked up his phone, idly tapping through social media when he received a text from Tendou.

Tendou:

hey hey 

we're coming over after school today, just us three

by the way, it's Semi's birthday tomorrow don't tell him i told you he hates celebrating it

just thought you'd want to know

Shirabu sucked in a breath, cursing himself for not knowing. It was pretty ironic- they'd known so much about each other's trauma and yet Shirabu didn't even know his birthday. Maybe that was a theme when it came to close friends.

He sighed, and replied letting Tendou know that he was fine with it before swiping off to open Amazon. After browsing for a while, he finally found what he was looking for and thanked whatever higher force there was for his prime account. He put the delivery address of the hospital and set his phone down again as he picked up a book from his table.

He'd reread the same chapter so many times, he could practically recite the whole thing by heart. It have him comfort that amidst all of this change, there was something that remained constant.

***

"Why did you tell him," Semi said, rolling his eyes

"Because you always said you only wanted friends to know right? Don't worry, you and I both know he'd never tell your little fanbase who would shower you with gifts should they find out your birthday," Tendou teased

"What's that supposed to mean?" Semi asked bewildered, but Tendou just kept smiling widely

"Creep," Semi said, dismissing the situation as they walked in the direction of the hospital. "You guys go on ahead, I need to do something real quick," Semi said, walking off in the direction of a small store. The others peered at him weirdly, but didn't bother questioning their friend as they continued on their way.

Semi grabbed what he was looking for, paying with exact change. The cashier looked at him strangely as they inspected the product, but they handed it back to him without saying anything.

He left the store, his goods in the bag as he jogged to the hospital, joining the others who were sat around the bed. Semi hid the plastic bag in his school bag and took a seat, taking his shoes off and putting his knees up.

Conversation passed idly, with fits of laughter sprouting out following something stupid that Tendou said. Shirabu found himself in much higher spirits as he engaged in conversation more and more.

Something white and crumpled was spotted by Semi under Shirabu's pillow, but Semi realised it was probably his wish list, which reminded him why he really wanted to come today. The others all said their goodbye, and Semi joined them. He could no longer use the excuse of staying behind to see his mother, and didn't want to feed Tendou's hunger for teasing him.