You're Not Allowed To Do That Again (💛)

Summary: The serum given to Newt was just enough to hold him off till they got to the safe haven, but once they got there, he was whisked off to a tent and no one knows if he'll make it.

Where: Safe Haven

Words: 1154

-----

Thomas didn't want them taking Newt away from him again.

"Thomas, c'mon love, he needs treatment," Brenda tried to tell him. Thomas felt a tear slip down his cheek. He didn't want to let go of him, he didn't want to lose him again. Who knew if he would survive- or if there even was a cure?

Newt struggled to stand. The serum held off but he was starting to lose his balance. Thick black liquid rose in the back of his mouth making him cough violently. Thomas clutched the necklace he was given tightly in his hand. 

Thomas threw his arms around Newt, sobbing quietly. "D-don't die on me, Newtie. I-I wouldn't- I couldn't- live without you."

Then they took him away.

----

Thomas POV

My leg hasn't stopped shaking and tears haven't stopped streaming down my face. Newt, my gorgeous boyfriend (even if it's a secret), can't leave me. I'll never make it without him. As cheesy as it is, he's my world.

The deep blue sea sparkled due to the setting sun. The lights were out, everyone safely asleep in their tents with no worries once so ever clouding their minds, only the relief of it being over, of being safe. I wish I could feel that, so bad. But I knew I wouldn't unless my Newt could too.

The only lights still on were the ones in the medical tent. People came in and out, two of those being Brenda and Sonya even though the latter was just there for support. They wouldn't let me in since I wasn't helping. Understandable. The only thing they needed from me was my blood, then they kicked me out so they could work.

The call for curfew came, blaring loudly over the whole area. I sighed and stood up, making my way to my tent as slowly as I could to waste time.

I knew there were other deaths, and of course I wasn't thrilled that they died. Even Teresa, who betrayed us all but helped us in the end. She did wrong of course, but we all did even if not as bad. And in the end, she got the cure.

It would be a long night of worrying, and all I could do was lay there and hope the love of my life will be okay.

I sat down on my hammock, about to lay down until I remember the note capsule in my pocket. Hastily I pulled it out and opened it, but still careful not to rip it.

 Dear Thomas, 

This is the first letter I could remember writing. Obviously, I don't know if I wrote any before the Maze. But even if it's not my first, it's likely to be my last. I want you to know that I'm not scared. Well, not of dying, anyway. It's more forgetting. It's losing myself to this virus, that's what scares me. So every night, I've been saying their names out loud. Alby. Winston. Chuck. And I just repeat them over and over like a prayer, and it - And it all comes flooding back. Just the little things like where the sun used to hit the Glade at that perfect moment right before it slipped beneath the walls. And I remember the taste of Frypan's stew. I never thought I'd miss that stuff so much. And I remember you. From the first time you came up in the box, just a scared little Greenie who couldn't even remember his own name. But from that moment you ran into the Maze, I knew I would follow you anywhere. And I have. We all have. If I could do it all over again, I would. And I wouldn't change a thing. My hope for you: when you're looking back years from now, you'll be able to say the same. The future is in your hands now, Tommy. I know you'll find a way to do what's right. You always have. Take care of everyone for me. And take care of yourself. You deserve to be happy. 

Thank you for being my friend, and my amazing boyfriend.  

Goodbye, lovely.

Newt x

-----

I climbed out of the hammock, showering and changing. That note still lurked in the back of my but I tried, and God I tried, to tell myself that Newt would not die.

But it was hard.

I struggled to get my emotions together, to figure out what's real and what isn't, to try and understand what I need to do. I need to stop telling myself that Newt didn't make it. He's strong, I know he will.

A tear ran down my cheek again but I wiped it away and walked out of my tent.

People, most of which were immunes or lucky souls that escaped the Flare, chatted animatedly and happily. I smiled at a few and they smiled and thanked me though I didn't know what for.

I spotted Minho, Frypan, Brenda, Jorge, and a few others sitting near the unlit fire. Minho spotted me and stood up with a large smile and quickly brought me into a hug.

I hugged back, gratefully accepting it. I didn't realize how much I needed one of those till now. Even with the reassurance that Minho and the others were still here, I wanted- no I needed- to know if my boy was still here. Even if the looming answer might terrify me.

"Newt," I whispered. "H-He's okay, right?"

I felt Minho smile against my shoulder. "Why don't you see for yourself, shank?"

I pulled away, shocked. Minho grinned and stepped out of the way.

Newt sat there on the log, next to Brenda who had a knowing smirk. He smiled a beautiful smile that was literally pure sunshine.

"Hi, Tommy," Newt laughed lightly with his eyes watering. I bit my lip hard to stop tears from rushing out. He stood up and wrapped his arms around my neck, pressing his soft, gentle lips to mine. My arms found his waist and I wrapped them around him tightly, lifting him up and spinning him around.

"Put me down you bloody shank!" Newt yelped, tightening his hold on me.

"You're here," I murmured against him in disbelief but utter happiness nonetheless. "That note had me bawling, baby. I thought-"

Newt cut me off with another kiss, that he pulled away from when he smiled into it. "I'm here, aren't I?"

"Thank God you are," I hugged him again tightly. "I hope you know you're not allowed to do that again."

Newt snorted. "Don't worry, love. I don't plan on it."

Throughout this whole interaction, the people watching just smirked with fond expressions. "I shucking knew it," Minho muttered.

-----