Anger crossed the spirit guardian's eyes. "Yes, that they did."

    "If you want to have your revenge, then return inside my heart," Nia told the woman. "You need to conserve your energy, Lucina."

    "I know," Lucina said in a whisper. "I need to live and take back my son from the Supreme."

    ***

    "CHOOSE between Duke Nystrom and my duty as a Bookkeeper?"

    "Yes," Tilly said. "Duke Sherwood, don't you think that there's conflict of interest in your stand as Kiho's servants and your role as a Sherwood? Even Aku Moonchester recognizes your importance as a Bookkeeper. If it wasn't for that, he would have killed you a long time ago."

    Duke Sherwood smiled brightly at her. It looked so fake though, just like his personality. "Are you trying to get rid of me, Lady Nystrom? Have you forgotten that I made a pledge to you and your son when I devoted myself to Duke Nystrom?"

    "My memories as the Supreme have returned," she announced coldly. "Now I remember that a Bookkeper's "pledge of loyalty" can never be valid."

    The duke's fake smile finally vanished.

    "Now I understood why it was so easy for you to pledge your loyalty," she said while shaking her head. "You know that it won't kill you because the spell doesn't recognize a pledge from a Bookkeeper. After all, you are humans who don't have the freedom to choose sides. The only "side" that you can ever stand on is the truth."

    Aku Moonchester probably knew that, too.

    After all, the emperor still let Duke Sherwood live even after the duke "pledged" his loyalty to Kiho.

    "Ah, my secret is busted," Duke Sherwood said with an unapologetic smile. "I didn't mean to trick His Grace, my lady. Our whole clan has always been fascinated with the Black Serpent. I just wanted a chance to be of use to him."

    Well, she was glad that Duke Sherwood helped Kiho for the past five years. He was sketchy, yes. But she was grateful that he also saved Louisa and David. His obsession with Kiho had become a good fortune for their side.

    "You have served your purpose, Duke Sherwood," she told him. "You protected Kiho and our household. Most of all, you created the law that I asked you to. As a token of gratitude, I will make you the most successful Bookkeeper among the Sherwoods."

    He gave her another fake smile. "Are you getting rid of me, my lady?"

    "Yes," she said, then she sipped her tea.

    "You've become more cold-hearted," the duke complained. "I'm a little hurt."

    "Duke Sherwood, do you know what a divine civil war is?"

    The duke's ears seemed to perk up upon hearing it. "Of course," he said, not bothering to mask his excitement. "The first Sherwood to be recognized as a Bookkeeper had witnessed the divine civil war led by the Supreme Fire Mage and the Black Serpent against the Moonchesters. But it wasn't recorded in the official history of the empire because it was a war that only gods were involved. My ancestor died recording that moment."

    Ah, yes.

    Soleil Rosenberg and Kalel Nystrom led that divine civil war. But because of the Moonchesters' manipulation, they were able to control Kalel Nystrom and turn him on her.

    That was when she lost her life back then.

    History won't repeat itself this time.