Chapter 60 The Pinnacle

Start from the beginning

Makyra headed the charge. With a pistol, she fired off shots at those approaching her. Men with rifles stayed high on the hill to take shots whenever possible. Bullets ricocheted off of most of them, but some punched through the rather thick plate, or even exposed areas, causing the automatons to fall into piles of rusted metals. It appears that striking the plates themselves will be futile, and instead they will have to aim for weak points in the joints and in between plates. A thing easier said than done, but they were not going to turn back now. Swords and pistols drawn, the scene became chaotic as they all made wide separations from one another, and began to finally engage with their metal enemy. What became very apparent was who had the superior weaponry. These automatons appeared to be outfitted with a variety of things used in the art of killing. From flamethrowers to large blades sprouting from their faces. Those made after the images of animals simply used their modified applicants to take care of their opponents. The battlefield was chaotic, more so than Mer'Dith. And just like then, they were focused on stalling rather than winning. As soon as they engaged, they began to somewhat retreat and draw away their attention from Lyse, Edlund, and Makyra. Their job was now only to keep them busy enough and allow these godslayers to do what needs to be done.

A notion they knew would be much easier said than done. These creatures were unlike anything had ever seen before. Many made the mistake to treat them as beasts. Beasts hesitated. Beasts had a sense of survival that stopped them from making very risky attempts. But not these things. They had minds as focused as a falling rock. Moxie watched as one of her crewmen were pounced upon, as he mistakingly thought that simply gesturing with his rifle would be enough for it to hesitate and probably get a shot off. But instead, it took the obvious opening given to it and pounced. Long claws punctured his shoulder and chest as those massive steel jaws came down on his throat. Another was struck from the back by a humanoid one, and his missed rifle shot ranged into nothingness. She turned, bared teeth shouted, and calling for them to retreat further into the trees. Hopefully, the foliage will break apart these creatures' focus a little, and allow them to gather themselves. But just as she turned, another of these automatons came lounged. The arms of what appeared to be a full-body human had been fashioned into long crescent-shaped blades and were sent directly towards her head. She raised both her sabers but they were almost cut in half in a single blow,

She tossed the blades aside as the automaton nearly ripped them free and went for another attack. She managed to roll to the side, dodging another few slashes. She unhooked one of her guns and aimed at its head. Smoke and a loud bang following by a loud rang from the ricochet. She missed the area between the eye, and it was completely unfazed by what she had down. She growled at it continued to advance. She abandoned her guna as well and held up her hands. She allowed that part of her. That part was so poisonous that mere thought brought it to a rushing heart. Her eyes flashed in dull yellow light, pupilless. But she had to restrain it, just a bit. Her arms grew a bit longer and her gloves were ripped apart as large claws ripped through the metal plating of the automaton. Immediately its head was torn apart with a single swipe, and one of the arms severed. As soon as she could she allowed the poison to leave her, as it slowly did so. Her veins burned with pain, and she felt winded. But she dare not falter. She picked up the severed arm from that machine and used it as a weapon instead.

"Captain," Tug rushed over to her, helping her onto steady feet. It always took something away from her every time she switched to and from that form. "Get on your feet laddy, this ain't over just yet."

"We need to make a wide circle around the city," she said. "Keep these things busy, even if it's our corpses."

"Aye," he said. "And you."

She lifted the makeshift sword. "I'll manage. Let's pray that they do what needs to be done, Tug."

(X)