chapter thirty

"And so, just like that, I managed to work my charm exactly how I needed to, and swept your mother right off of her feet with ease."

"Ease?" Senna perked up from her cup of coffee. She held it carefully with both of her hands and eyed her husband as if she didn't know him at all. "What ease? You had a crush on me for nearly three years yet said nothing. I went through at least four boyfriends before you even decided to make a move."

"But when I did make that move, I swept you off of your feet, didn't I?" Tonraq continued to boost himself, trying his best to slip in an arm flex as casually as possible.

"Not really." Senna countered, then took a quick sip of her coffee again. "Even after that we didn't get together until half-a-year later."

"I personally think that it is very romantic for me to wait for you for so long."

Asami's eyes were glued to the couple in front of her, but from the corner of her eyes, she didn't miss the look that was being burned into her side profile. She turned her head quickly to catch it fully, but Korra moved quicker than her and looked back at her own parents. Asami could only sigh when a smirk appeared on her girlfriend's lips, then gave Senna and Tonraq her attention again after taking a small bite of Korra's nearly finished pancake.

She felt Korra's eyes on her once more, but this time, chose to not look back. Her lips turned into a smirk of their own as she chewed.

"Sure." Senna playfully rolled her eyes which caused Asami to release a soft chuckle under her breath. Senna placed her cup down on the round table and patted her husband's cheek twice. "You're sweet, but you're also a cowardly-romantic."

"Now, just wait-" Tonraq moved one of his elbows on to the table, and with that, created a bit of an accident. His arm had knocked over Korra's cup of water, making it spill all over the surface and begin to droop down on to the floor of the cafe.

"Shit-"

"Korra." Senna warned Korra, stopping her from her use of language. It only made Asami laugh again at the action, especially when Korra made a cringed face as if she was about to retaliate, but held back knowing that she was talking to her mother.

"Oh, uh, sorry." Korra said instead. "I'm gonna go get napkins." She stood from her chair to turn around and leave the table, but then turned back around to look Asami in the eyes. It was pathetic, but it made her heart flutter for a moment. "You coming, Asami?"

She nodded to her girlfriend, then felt the urge to reach out and grab her hand, but she knew better. Senna and Tonraq had no idea about her and Korra's relationship other than assuming that the two were just very close friends. Asami repressed a sigh when she suddenly felt down and trapped.

Now that they were official and she knew that Korra loved her the same, though it was still unbelievable to her, all she wanted was to be able to scream it from every rooftop of Republic City. But these were Korra's parents. Springing something like that on them was also a bit far from her mind, as much as she wished it wasn't.

Asami couldn't wait long enough for the truth to be out. She also couldn't wait for their trip to the South to finally begin.

Only two weeks and three days away. She reminded herself, creating a chant in her head.

"We'll be right back." Asami assured, then stood up along with Korra, who got the chance to shoot her a pleased grin from below. She smiled back, of course, but wanted to do more than just smile.

The two walked through the tables, their occupants, and the few other waiters and waitresses until they made it to the semi-front of the cafe. The same cafe that Asami took Korra to on her birthday, and the same cafe that she first met her parents in person; Kana's. It was shocking to think about how much has changed between them since then. With that thought, she looked back to Korra who now stood at napkin dispenser, pulling a few out, but oddly slowly. She was clearly in no rush.