Chapter 4

"Dad, I just have one question.." I began to say.

"Yes?" He looked over at me from the drivers seat, concern masked his face.

"Why are you forcing me to be friends with Cameron?" I glared at him, trying to show a bit of sorrow so he wouldn't get mad about the question.

He let out a long sigh, "the Gambles have been our friends for decades, Juliet. If you aren't friends with Cameron and his sisters, our get-togethers with them will be awkward and it might tear us apart.."

I looked out the window then, not sure how I could reply back.

"I'm n-not saying it would be your fault if that did happen," he continued to say as he waved his right hand around, "but your mother and Karen always wanted their kids to grow up as friends... practically siblings. But that cant happen unless you put effort into it." I nodded at him, and he had pity in his eyes as he took them off the road to look at me again. "Your mother is just scared to lose them."

I can understand where they are coming from. I've lost two best friends in my life time already and it sucks. "Okay I get it, Dad... but I just don't know if I can do it."

"Juliet," he started to say. I hate it when my Dad uses my real name; it means he's being 100% serious. "Try, okay? You two grew up inseparable. It wont hurt to try, and if I don't see you trying, I am still serious about college."

It will hurt to try, but I have no other choice. I'm going to still be stubborn about it, or only look like I'm trying in front of my parents.

But I refuse to talk to him at school. That is if I even see him. It might be difficult to stay away from him though, considering he is only a couple houses down from ours.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - .

I sat in the car with my dad the rest of the way back to Texas in silence. He turned on the radio and I easily drifted in and out of sleep. My mom already drove to Texas on Friday morning with most of our things, leaving me and my dad to drive there on Sunday morning as he finished some business with his recently previous job.

My mom offered for me to go with her, but I just couldn't show up two days early.

Ever since those words left her mouth, 'they'll be at the funeral', I couldn't stop thinking about him, and that is what I feared most.

Inside my head, was a constant battle of how I was going to avoid him and try to be his friend at the same time. I didn't know how I was going to do it, but it had to be done somehow.

Isn't he dating a model anyways? If I did get close to him again, I know I'll want more than a friendship because that's all I have ever wanted; I mean, I love him.

What the hell am I saying?! I DON'T LOVE CAMERON.

These mixed feelings are so confusing.

I don't like Cameron. He broke my heart. He didn't like me back. He stopped being my friend, remember? He left me with no one. I don't like him, that's final.

I quickly managed to get a headache from all of the back and forth arguing in my head with myself. The throbbing pain at my temples gave me the urge to close my eyes, and I gently drifted off to sleep as the sound of Pink Floyd on the radio started to fade away.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Home sweet home!" My dad yelled as he pushed the door open, picked me up with one swift movement and carried me inside bridal style.