Chapter 32: Ironfoot

" If I'm not mistaken, this is the Halfling who stole the keys to my dungeons from under the nose of my guards," Thranduil asked as he moved to sit in his seat. Bilbo rocked on his toes with his lips scrunched together looking away from the king.

"Yesh. Sorry about that." Bilbo said awkwardly while Amanda let out a small chuckle while Bard smirked. "I came to give you this," Bilbo said as he put a red rag onto the table in the middle of the tent. He unfolded the rag to show the Arkenstone. Everyone looked in awe at the stone,

"The heart of the mountain, The king's jewel," Thranduil said as he stood up to take a better look. Amanda walked up to Bilbo and placed a hand on his shoulder. Bilbo looked over his shoulder to her and she gave him a nod. As if she was saying that was the right thing to do, this gave him a bit of comfort.

" And worth a king's ransom," Bard said standing up and walking over to the table. Thranduil reached out to touch the stone but stopped himself from doing so. "How is this yours to give?" Bard asked as they all looked to the Hobbit.

"I took it as my fourteenth share of the treasure."

"Why would you do this? You owe us no loyalty."

"I'm not doing it for you. I know that Dwarves can be obstinate and pigheaded and difficult. And suspicious and secretive with the worst manners you can possibly imagine, but they are also brave and kind and loyal to a fault. I've grown very fond of them, and I would save them if I can. But Thorin values this stone above all else. In exchange for its return, I believe he will give you what you were owed. There will be no need for war." Bilbo reasons with the taller folk around him. 

"Everyone get some rest for tonight. Tomorrow, we will stand at the gates of Erebor. We will then get what is rightfully our." Thranduil told them all as he turned and sat down on his chair once more.

~~~~~~

The next morning had come and now a sea of golden armour that shone in the morning light. Gleaming on the fields before the gates of Erebor. Thranduil on his moose with Amanda and Bard to either side of him on white horses rode through the sea of gold. The elves parted way to make room for the riders as they walked towards the gates of the mountain.

Amanda looked up at the company she had travelled with standing looking down. Her eyes landed on Kili who looked at her with a fearful look. Amanda gave him a soft smile to try and calm him down. Just as they had broken through the sea of gold, Thorin let loose an arrow at Thranduil's mooses' feet. This causes them all to pull to a stop.

" I will put the next one between your eyes," Thorin called as he pulled another arrow back in the bow. The company sounded a cheer. Without uttering a word. Hundreds of elves loaded up with bows and draw them back in almost perfect timing. Seeing this, all but Thorin ducked under the wall of stone in fright. A moment later, the elves loosed their arrows and returned them to their quiver. 

"We've come to tell you payment of your debt has been offered and accepted," Thranduil told the company.

"What payment? I gave you nothing. You have nothing." Thorin retaliated back. Amanda reached into her pocket and pulled out the Arkenstone.

"We have this," Bard said pointing to the stone Amanda now held up.

"They have the Arkenstone. Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house? That stone belongs to the king." Killi yelled out, this stung Amanda but she did not show it.

"The king may have it. With our goodwill." Bard told them as Amanda placed the stone back into her pocket once more. " But first he must honour his word."

"They're taking us for fools. This is a ruse and a filthy lie. The Arkenstone is in this Mountain, it is a trick!" Thorin tried to understand what was going on.

" I-it's no trick. The stone is real. I gave it to them." Bilbo confirmed it was really. 

"Bilbo," Amanda muttered now scared of what Thorin was about to do. Her eyes darted between Thorin and Bilbo as her breathing picked up. She watched as they had a battle of words almost before Thorin had enough, "Throw him from the rampart!" He called out but no one moved. He then grabbed Bilbo and tried to throw him over the wall.

"No!" Amanda yelled and notched her bow, she quickly aimed the arrow for the wall just next to them and released it. The arrow hit the wall pulling their attention to Amanda as she notched a second arrow. "I swore to protect that Hobbit. Even if that means from you." Amanda yelled out at Thorin.

"If you don't like my burglar, then please don't damage him." Gandalf called in a deep wizard voice that echoed around them, "Return him to me. You're not making a very splendid figure as King under the Mountain, are you, Thorin, son of Thrain?" Gandalf spoke to Thorin as he walked up to where Thranduil, Amanda and Bard stood. He let loose Bilbo who scrambled out of his grip. Bofur helped him get to the rope to slide down.

"Never again will I have dealings with wizards!" Thorin called out, " Or Shire rats!"

"Are we resolved? The return of the Arkenstone for what was promised." Bard asked as Bilbo rushed over to Gandalf. Amanda loosened her bow and put her arrow back into her quiver. Thorin's attention seemed to be drawn away from them and over to the hills. Amanda turned her head, she could hear it. Amanda looked to Gandalf who could also hear it. They both looked at each other with an unsettled glance. 

"Give us your answer. Will you have peace or war?" Just as Thorin was about to answer, a crow landed on the gates. Amanda sighed defeated and hung her head.

"I will have war," Thorin called deeply as the thundering grew louder until an army appeared over the hills. 

"Ironfoot," Gandalf confirmed as Thranduil turned his moose around. He commanded his army to turn to face the new threat as the three on horseback rode through the centre of the army. The elven army marched forward in complete sync as the dwarven army marched forwards as well. They all came to a stop and Amanda, Thranduil and Bard rode to the front. A Dwarf on the back of a hog climbs a small rock.

" Good morning! How are we all? I have a wee proposition if you wouldn't mind giving me a few moments of your time. Would you consider?" Dain starting as he just looked at the army before him. "Just sodding off?!" He yelled down at the army. "All of you! Right now!" He continued on.

"Come now, Lord Dain" Gandalf called out making himself known in hopes that maybe he could cool the situation.

"Gandalf the Grey. Tell this rabble to leave, or I'll water the ground with their blood." Dain told Gandalf, showing he was not going to budge. 

"There is no need for war between Dwarves, Men and Elves. A legion of Orcs march on the Mountain. Stand your army down." Gandalf tried to convince Dain, what he failed to do with Thranduil. 

" I will not stand down before any Elf. Not least this faithless woodland sprite. He wishes nothing but ill upon my people. If he chooses to stand between me and my kin, I'll split his pretty head open! See if he's still smirking then." Dain yelled happily.

"I like him, can I keep him?" Amanda laughed at his remark. Bard just laughed at her statement.

"He's clearly mad, like his cousin." Thranduil returned clearly annoyed at the statement, but which one Amanda was not sure.

"You hear that, lads? We're on! Let's give these bastards a good hammering!" Dain called turning back to his army. Just them an all mightly grumbling and roaring came from next to the city. Amanda's horse became unsettled as it began to jump around. 

"The time has come. Now the real battle begins." Amanda muttered to Bard and Thranduil as they look to where the sound is coming from. 

"What is that noise?" Bard asked

"Were-worms." Amanda told him bluntly.