Chapter 2: The Past

Amanda sat with a piece of cloth and her small bag by her side, which was full of small glass bottles. Some had objects in them like animal teeth and plants, while others had liquid of all colours in them. She moved the cloth in call circular motions shining the silver metal. Amanda could hear muffled voices talking in another room as the front door opened before closing again. She quickly finished polishing her blade and placed her cloth away.

" Gandalf, who is this?" Thorin asked loudly with a low hush voice. Amanda placed a finger under the hilt of her sword and pushed up, throwing the blade into the air in several flips. Amanda put the sheath up and the sword landed with a crashing noise into the sheath.

" This is Amanda," Gandalf said as she stood up.

" A woman? Gandalf, what are you thinking?" Thorin said disapprovingly to the tall wizard.

" Do not underestimate her just because she is a woman, Thorin. She has been raised and trained by a very knowledgeable man. A ranger of the North to be exact." Gandalf said with a little huff. Thorin walked over to her and walked around Amanda, examining her completely.

" She does not look strong, she is too skinny and small," Thorin said with his final analysis. Amanda grunted and walked over to him.

" Uncle..." Kili said with a disapproving glance with a hint of worry. Thorin looked to him as if to say don't talk. Amanda stood right up to Thorin and put her hand out to shake his. Thorin looked at it for a moment before hesitantly reaching out his hand. The moment his hand placed itself into her hand, Amanda pushed his elbow up and twisted his arm behind his back quickly. She then stepped up to him and swiped his legs from underneath him causing him to fall in his back with a grunt. She placed a foot into his chest and bent down.

" Never call me weak again." Amanda smiled at him as she took her foot off his chest and walked through the awestruck crowd of dwarves and one hobbit. While the grey wizard just chuckled and shook his head. Amanda walked out of the room and Thorin picked himself up off the ground.

" Kili, keep an eye on her," Thorin said as he straightens himself out and walked through to the dining room. Kili nodded and walked out of the room towards the front door, he opened it and stepped out into the fresh night air. He saw Amanda standing looking out over the bustling shire.

"It's so peaceful here. It's like this small area is just a whole other world entirely. We Rangers work on the outskirts to protect this peaceful way of life. But I have never actually been within the borders of the Shire." Amanda smiled to herself as she knew her and her comrade's work was paying off well. Kili walked up next to her and looked out as some drunken hobbits stumbled back to their small homes.

" It is peaceful. The Rangers have done well." Kili smiled looking at her face which was lit by the softly silver moonlight. He felt his heart quicken in pace and his stomach tighten. 

" We swore we would protect this way of life. The hobbits do not need to know of the troubles that are out there." Amanda smiled softly looking down and then to Kili who was smiling at her.

"It's very noble, Amanda. You see I erm..." Kili said huffing as he looked down than to Amanda.

" I just wanted to say I am sorry. For earlier, you know." Kili stuttered out unable to look into her eyes. So he looked everywhere but her brown eyes.

"It's alright. I get it a lot. I guess it was my fault too for overreacting." Amanda smiled softly as their eyes once again connected with each other. Kili could see that her brown eyes held so much behind them. On the outside, they were harsh and cold looking. But if you actually look into them, you could see the loneliness and pain. But there was also warmth and kindness hiding somewhere within.