Chapter 31: Gandalf

"He will give us nothing" Bard called as he trotted back to where Thranduil and Amanda were. They stood next to each other not speaking or even glancing at each other.

"Such a pity," Thranduil said sarcastically. "Still you tried.

"I do not understand. Why? Why would he risk war?" Bard asked confused 

"It is fruitless to reason with them. They understand only one thing." Thranduil says as he pulled his sword from its hold.

"Or maybe, just maybe it's the army of gold shinning elves standing all over the city." Amanda shrugged. Thranduil just glared at her.

"We attack at dawn," Thranduil informed them as he turned his moose away from them and rides back to Dale

"Are you with us?" He called back to them. Amanda just rolled her eyes at him. 

"Are all King always so arrogant?" Amanda asked as they made their way into the city just behind him. Bard and Amanda began to sort the townfolk with armour and weapons for the fight ahead of them. Amanda taught the townfolk basic fighting skills on how to attack and how to block. Amanda shook her head know that these folk had never seen nor trained for anything like this. 

"Bard, we must try and stop this. Your people do not belong in battle. They have never trained for this." Amanda told him as she jogged up to catch him.

"Do what you can," Bard told her.

"Even then it is not going to be enough. Bard!" Amanda called getting his attention. "There is something more going on." 

"What do you speak of?" Bard asked as Amanda pulled him into a quiet alleyway. 

"Legolas fought again orcs bearing the mark of Gundabad," Amanda told him. "I think we are going to be fighting something darker than dwarves."

"Lady Amanda, Lord Bard." An elve in black armour appeared to their side. "Thranduil has called you both to his tent." They both nodded and followed the elve to Thranduil's tent not too far from where they were. Once inside Amanda caught sight of a tall grey wizard. Her smile grew large at the sight of him.

"Gandalf, I am glad to see you well," Amanda called thrilled and she rushed over and embraced the wizard. Her arms around his waist as he chuckled and patted her back. 

"As it is to see you too." He replied, "Now, we must talk." Gandalf spoke now doing into a serious tone of voice as Amanda stepped back.

"You must set aside your petty grievances with the Dwarves. War is coming. The cesspits of Dol Guldur have been emptied. You're all in mortal danger." Gandalf gave the three pieces of information about what he has found.

" What are you talking about?" Bard asked before it clicked in his head that what he was saying was pairing up with Amanda's statement from earlier.

"I can see you know nothing of wizards. They are like winter thunder on a wild wind, rolling in from a distance breaking hard in alarm. But sometimes a storm is just a storm." Thranduil panned him off as he stood up to pour himself a drink.

"And sometimes storms destroy cities," Amanda told Thranduil.

"Not this time, armies of Orcs are on the move. These are fighters, they have been bred for war. Our enemy has summoned his full strength."

" Why show his hand now?" Thranduil asked almost as if he was tired of just listening to the wizards warning.

"Because we forced him," Amanda said piecing it all together in her head. It all made sense now.

" Preciously, we forced him when the company of Thorin Oakenshield set out to reclaim their homeland. The Dwarves were never meant to reach Erebor, Azog the Defiler was sent to kill them." Gandalf told them as he walked out of the tent and into a circular-like room with broken windows. A stone chair now directly in front of them.  "His master seeks control of the Mountain, not just for the treasure within, but for where it lies, its strategic position. This is the gateway to reclaiming the lands of Angmar in the North." They all now stood at the end of the room, looking out over the gates of Erebor. "If that fell Kingdom should rise again Rivendell, Lórien, the Shire even Gondor itself will fall."

"These Orc armies you speak of, Mithrandir, where are they?" Thranduil asked knowing full well Gandalf couldn't give an answer to it.

"I thought as much," Thranduil called and he turned around and left the council meeting. He made his way back into the tent and took his chair.

"Legolas had travelled north. He gathered information that Gundabad orcs are making a move. If you do not want to believe Mithrandir, then at least believe that your own son has travelled on similar information." Amanda spoke to him. Thranduil just looked down at her in his usual glare before he turned his head showing he was not interested in her.

"Always the same with these people." Amanda threw her hands into the air as Gandalf passed her to speak further with Thranduil.

" Since when has my council counted for so little? What do you think I'm trying to do?" Gandalf asked him.

"I think you're trying to save your Dwarvish friends. And I admire your loyalty to them. But it does not dissuade me from my cause. You started this, Mithrandir, you will forgive me if I finish it." Thranduil spoke simply as he went from sitting to standing right next to the wizard. Thranduil then turned around to speak with another elve. "Are the archers in position?"

"Yes, My Lord." The elve replied immediately to his king.

"Give the order. If anything moves on that mountain, kill it." Thranduil simply told him and the elve bowed before rushing away to give the order. 

"The Dwarves are out of time," Thranduil told Gandalf.

"And you are blinded by your greed of gems," Amanda growled at Thranduil as Gandalf left the tent. 

"Those gems rightfully belong to me," Thranduil spoke to her. 

"Oh, so he does speak to me." Amanda laughed surprised. "There are large things at play here, and you are too blind to see them!"

"If I don't believe the word of Mithrandir, what makes you believe I will listen to you?" He asked her sitting back on his chair.

"I can only hope. Because if you don't and you fight against the dwarves. I fear many lives will be lost." Amanda told him with a sigh of defeat. "I have nothing to gain from lying to you," 

"That won't stop them." A voice called from outside the tent. Amanda's head twisted to the entrance of the tent. 

"I know that voice, but what is he doing here?" Amanda asked walking to the entrance of the tent.

"Bilbo Baggins," Gandalf called out happy to see his hobbit. Amanda smiled at the sight of her dear friend as well.