"That is a complicated question filled with many political considerations. Suffice to say, it is not for a lack of caring that I remain here."

The man glanced at the game board. "Yes, I suppose you know what you are doing. While you are probably acting in your own interest, I still want to thank you for helping us out, especially with this." He motioned to the game. "I think we could do with learning some more self-reliance around here."

Viggo looked at the three children still watching them with interest. "Yes, I would say that is very true."

***

After her talk with Reidun, Eira found Dagur playing with some of the children once more. She joined them in their games when Dagur prompted her. For once, she was able to let go and have some fun in the moment despite their current circumstances. They played a rousing game of tag, and then Eira allowed Dagur to take control while she took a break.

"Alright," said Dagur, snatching a large stick from the ground, "where are you in your battle training?"

"Battle training?" said a confused young boy. "We don't have that."

Dagur frowned. "Then how will you learn to become warriors?" The children looked at each other and shrugged. "Your parents know how to fight, right?"

"Sure," said a girl, "but they haven't battled since-" An older boy elbowed her hard. "Never mind."

Dagur shook his head. "That's no good. You need to be able to defend yourselves if you're attacked, right?" He looked to Eira for confirmation.

"Correct," said Eira. "You need to defend your village if it is attacked." It seemed to her that a village allowed greater evil to take control if it could not protect itself. Still, this sounded like something that should be brought up with the chief. "We should talk to Reidun about it... and possibly their parents."

"But I want to learn now!" the first boy whined.

"There's no harm if we're just playing, right?" said Dagur.

Eira hesitated. "I suppose not."

Dagur grinned. "Everyone grab a stick!" The children cheered.

"But please be careful." Eira decided to join in to make sure no one got hurt. Dagur had good intentions, but sometimes he went overboard.

***

Krogan felt better than the previous day and managed to assist another family in house repairs. Perhaps Eira was right and he could do some good here. He just needed to take it slow and one task at a time. He dared not yet consider what lie ahead.

Krogan's thoughts were broken when he heard the piercing scream of a child. He ran in the direction of the noise, stopping at the trees. He was not supposed to go in there. He hesitated for only a second before running into the forest. He heard a second scream, though it seemed to come from another, deeper voice.

Krogan skidded to a halt upon arriving at a small clearing and center of the commotion. Oliver and a young boy cowered before a scarlet Triple Stryke growling at them ferociously. The dragon raised his tail and made a clicking sound. "Look out!" Krogan shouted. He leapt at the younger Vikings, managing to push them out of the way before the Triple Stryke attacked with his tail. He continued to push them until they were a good distance away for good measure. "Stay back."

"What are you going to do?" Oliver said with wide eyes.

Krogan ignored him and faced the dragon. He had received extensive training on all known species of dragons, and he knew the Triple Stryke better than most because of Dagur's frequent, incessant ramblings about his own dragon. They were difficult to train... but not impossible. And he simply needed to calm the dragon down long enough for them to get away.