"Ingrid and Snotlout just got back from patrol. Dragon trappers have set up camps on several uninhabited islands."

This caused Hiccup to pause. "Did they do anything about them?"

"They destroyed the traps when no one was around but avoided the trappers themselves. Do you want me to send a team to take care of them?"

Hiccup remembered the advice he had been given about not angering anyone else in the archipelago. It might be fine if there were no other villages involved, but he still did not want to risk making a big scene. "No, I'll get my mom on it. She's experienced at not drawing attention to herself."

"If you think that's best." Astrid  leaned against a wooden frame and watched him work. "We need a better plan, you know. Maybe we can become self-sufficient, but we can't let the trappers do whatever we want to dragons."

"But if we engage them, we might harm our dragons." Hiccup sighed. "I know we need a plan. I'll think of something."

Astrid's eyes fell to the black tailfin in his hands. "If you're not working on a plan now, what are you doing?"

Hiccup hesitated, afraid she might reprimand him for taking a break. "This is a tailfin for Toothless that will work without a rider."

Astrid's eyes widened. "An auto-fin? Didn't you try that before? He destroyed it, remember?"

"Yes, I  know, but a lot has happened since then. We're in a lot more danger than we realized, and for his safety, he needs to be able to fly if we get separated. I have my flight suit, and he should have this." Hiccup held up the tailfin to examine it in the light. It was nearly complete. "Besides, the Light Fury seems to like him, and maybe he can make more progress with her alone than if I'm with him."

"Ah, so that's what this is about. Don't you think you're trying too hard with the Light Fury? Toothless is clearly not interested."

"Only because she keeps attacking me, which won't happen if I stay back. I'm sure Toothless will understand once I explain the situation. It won't be like last time. We've both matured since then."

Astrid shook her head. "If you say so. I'm just warning you, it might not be so easy. It is difficult to adjust to change, even for a Night Fury."

"I just need to learn more more about the Light Fury... and make sure Toothless is safe. Once I do that, I can figure out how to keep all dragons safe." Though it would be difficult, Hiccup believed he could do it. He would not let anything stop him.

***

While searching the village for areas of improvement, several children approached Viggo and Oliver, wanting to see them demonstrate a game of Maces and Talons again. So, the two of them obliged. After losing, Oliver ran off with a younger boy Viggo thought might have been the chief's son. He hoped he would not cause any trouble.

Viggo looked at the kids to gage their interest in playing the game, but an older Viking man sat at the table instead. "I hope you don't mind if I give it a go," he said. "I used to play years ago."

"Not at all," Viggo said as he set up the game. "I trust you remember how to play."

The man smiled. "But of course."

The man did put up a surprising fight. His skill even surpassed Oliver's, and Viggo told him as much. "Perhaps you could take over and teach the children when my companions and I leave your village."

"Yes, that's right. You're merely visitors." The man looked at him curiously. "Why do you not return home now? You have a family to get back to, don't you?"