Development between two characters was somehow, a symbol of optimism for avid readers like me. It meant that two lost souls could find each other despite the matters the world brought upon them. Maybe our person was out there. Wishing on a love that would sweep them off their feet.

But that was another messed up factor of this earth.

Two souls that were designed, tailored for each other, had a one in a billion chance of meeting. Why create a powerful love but make it almost impossible to have?

I focused my attention on the bustling city outside the window instead of my time consuming thoughts. The sun set right in front of me. A mixture of vivid reds and oranges casting a bright hue over the many buildings New York had to offer.

With a sigh, I set the long forgotten book on my night stand and ventured out into the extended living area. Greeting my roommate as I walked passed her.

"I made some shitty knock off pasta I found on the internet earlier if you're hungry." I looked over my shoulder at the brown haired beauty and smiled as she leaned over the couch, hair sprawled all over her face.

It needed to be cut.

"Thanks Z, I was just about to get food." She nodded and turned back to focus on whatever movie was playing on the television.

After warming up and plating the surprisingly delicious looking pasta, I strolled over and sat right next to her.

My fork wrapped around the spaghetti strands and I moaned at the taste. "This is actually so good."

The girl beside me smiled proudly. "I thought so too, not bad for a disastrous chef." I giggled lightly and realized just how much I had missed spending time with the ball of fire I lived with. As if reading my thoughts, she spoke.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in almost a week." She commented, lowering on the volume on 'The Titanic.'

"I know." I smiled sadly, it really did make me feel bad. "Work has been kicking my ass and it'll be doing so for the next month."

It took a few minutes to explain what would be occurring at work for the next month and she didn't seem too excited at the prospect of me being around Alejandro for that long. Zara knew as much as anyone would about the man. I felt the need to spill out the information I had come across in his file but I figured it was classified information and I shouldn't be openly speaking about the criminal.

Besides, I was home now and I shouldn't be dwelling over something that would only take place in the next two days.

"How do you feel about all this?" she asked warily.

I never really had time to think about it. How did I feel?

"I'm reasonably relaxed. They've done it before and everything seemed to have worked out well so I'm not all that worried. I would rather not participate at all but they chose the best so I feel somewhat honored to be doing it."

She nodded her head in understanding and dropped her head into the palm of her hand. "Just be careful, yeah? You'll have Sean with you I hope."

I finished off the last bit of pasta on my plate and set it on the table in front of us. "Yeah of course." She smiled, happy with my answer and I got up to wash the cutlery I had used after thanking her for dinner.

"It was wonderful Zara, really." I complimented. "I'm surprised you didn't burn down the kitchen in the process."

She snickered and switched positions on the couch, so that her head was laying in my lap. I stroked my fingers through the dark locks of her hair and smiled in content.