21-2

"You've lost none of your fire, have you?" He turned the pony again, exchanging an amused look with the other rider, and continued the steady walk onwards. "Good. I'll need that ferocity when you fight your brother to become Chaffti of your String, then, together, we will have one of the largest Strings in the Graatfeld."

"My ... my brother is Chaffti? Then ... my father ..." Tiera felt a chill run through her bones.

"Is dead. Yes. He fought 'courageously' on the front lines against the aggressors from the Steppes, the so-called 'Kingdom of Turszdava'. A kingdom in the Steppes. Ridiculous." The other rider gave Kulira a small smile as Tiera's betrothed looked around for approval at what he thought humorous. "Your father died. My father died. It's all so terribly sad. At least your old man died in battle. Mine fell from his pony and took weeks to die. From his pony! Oh, the embarrassment!"

"I won't fight my brother. I don't want to be Chaffti." Tiera still tried to work out all that she had heard. Her father, dead. So strong, so vibrant, she thought he would live forever. And her brother now Chaffti. A good choice. He took after father.

Kulira stopped his pony once again, handing the reins to his companion, jumping from the saddle. He moved to Tiera, whipping his cloak over his shoulder and towered above her. He placed a finger beneath her chin and raised her head, not allowing her time to grieve for her father. Kulira glanced at Viriili, her icy eyes matching his.

"You will. Of course you will." He reached out to Viriili, pulling her closer, not as gentle with her. "You shouldn't have shown your affection for your 'handmaiden'. A bit young for a lover, my sweet."

"I'm no-ones lover!" Viriili struggled against the hand gripping her shoulder.

"Shush, girl. Adults are talking." He returned his gaze to Tiera. "See, I don't want to get married as much as you, my dear Tiera. Your not my type. But we have a duty to our Strings to marry. We can pop out a couple of children, keep people happy, but I no more want to bed you than you want to bed me. What I do want is control of both Strings and that, you will provide."

"Not your type? I suppose lover-boy over there is?" Tiera nodded towards the pretty young man on the other pony. His short, dark hair framing petite features. His armour hiding a strong, lithe form. "I don't blame you. He is pretty. I'll fulfil my duty and marry you, but I'm not 'popping' out any children and I will not fight my brother."

Kulira sighed. Pressing down upon Viriili's shoulder, he forced her to her knees, removing a dagger from a sheath on his belt. Viriili scrambled, in pain, turning her head to the side and biting deep into Kulira's hand. He seemed to find that more funny than painful. Taking the dagger, he bent over, holding the blade to Viriili's throat. He turned his head to Tiera and raised his eyebrows.

"Coward! Give me a dagger and I'll kill you!" Viriili, eyes blazing, struggled even more. "Don't agree, Tiera!"

"Oh, I like her! She's feisty!" Kulira didn't take his eyes from Tiera.

Tiera locked eyes with Viriili. She knew that if she gave in to Kulira now, that would set the table for every interaction between them to the end of her days. She loved Viriili and she surprised herself by thinking that, but she couldn't allow Kulira to win this one. Even if it cost Viriili her life. She could tell Viriili knew this and the girl relaxed, lifting her head back, showing her throat to the dagger held there.

They remained in that position for, what felt like, hours. Yet only scant seconds could have passed. Kulira's lover, upon his pony, began to look worried. Murmurs erupted from the raiders around them. Still Tiera held her tongue. Still Viriili glared into the back of Kulira's skull. And Kulira's eyes began to twitch and flicker around. He threw Viriili to the ground, impatient, impotent, and sheathed his dagger.