Prologue

-▪︎¤■¤▪︎-

-▪︎¤■¤▪︎-

A/N: Yes I'm starting a new book while falling behind on updates with my others, sorry not sorry, but this book as been spinning around my head and I really want to make a start writing it!

This is a short story with no set days for updates. I'm coming up to the end of my uni semester so I should have lots of time to write this and my other stories during the next few months. If you're a follower of my account or new, welcome and I hope you enjoy this story!

Warning: This is a shifter werewolf story containing a homosexual main couple. This story involves strong language, violence, mentions of PTSD and pseudoseizures, death and bullying. Read at own risk, 18+ only.

Please be kind to myself and other readers in the comment section. Hate will be reported and deleted. Do not copy or redistribute this story.

-▪︎¤■¤▪︎-

ISADORE ¤ POV

My alarm tone rang, letting me know that it was finally seven o'clock in the morning, but I was already awake and staring up at my bedroom ceiling. I couldn't sleep very well, I hadn't been able to do so for almost a decade now. I was used to being awake for long hours, my body had adapted and now, it was almost impossible for me to sleep any longer than four hours a night. Usually, I couldn't fall asleep in the first place, but on the odd occasion I was exhausted enough to drift, my nightmares woke me before sunrise. That's just the way things were.

I sat up and used the rubber band on my wrist to tie my long hair back from my face. It was thick, a dark brown chestnut I had inherited from my father. The wavy, heavy strands reached my waist and I hadn't had a proper haircut in a few years. Despite being rejected from my father's side of the family, I still followed the cultural practises of my Native American heritage out of my own will. Nana always told me to let go, but I couldn't - wouldn't do so. It was painful, the thought of neglecting the blood running through my veins, although it had not been so painful for them to let go of me.

I rubbed anxiously at the pink indent the rubber band left behind as I made my way into my bathroom to wash and get ready for school. Each morning, I followed the same generic routine, drifting mindlessly around. It was almost an out of body experience, and before I knew it, I had showered, shaved, brushed my teeth and my hair. I debated braiding it, but thought better of it. Although I hated the other alphas tugging on my hair and taunting me, the curtain it created around my face acted as a comforting shield. I didn't have to meet anyone's eyes while my hair hung across my face and I felt more secure that way, more protected.