Chapter 19: His True Name

ASTRIDS POV.

The words had barely left the Night Riders mouth before Astrid was denying his question. "No, no I'm not going to go on a suicide mission for a few worthless dragons!" She exclaimed folding her arms and turning away from the man dressed in dragon scales.

"I know you don't think that Astrid." She heard the man say from behind her. "You have no idea what I think!" She replied in a harsh tone. Astrid heard his deep breath echo from the inside of his mask as he prepared to make his case.

"You're right, I have no idea what you think." She could hear the shifting of the grass under his feet as he approached her. "But I do know that you don't think dragons worthless." She could feel his presence just a few inches behind her now.

"When we were in the air on Toothless." He began. "You were amazed with what you were seeing." The masked man placed his hand on her shoulder which sent a shiver up her spine. "And when I pointed it out to you, you did what I knew you would." The man walked around in front of her and the two locked eyes.

Her eyes locked with his green, and his eyes locked with her blue. "You pulled away, because it shocked you that you had let your guard down enough to place your hands on a dragon." The Night Rider now took his hand that was still placed upon her shoulder and slowly trailed it down her arm until it reached her hand.

"But then when I placed your hands on Toothless's neck." He intertwined his and her fingers once again like he had done on the flight. "I knew like you know now that dragons are not worthless creatures, but smart and intelligent creatures instead."

Astrid broke there hand and eye connection and turned away. Astrid had to say something but she couldn't think of anything. But she didn't have to because he took the lead on the conversation again. "Astrid if you can look me in the eyes and say dragons are worthless then I won't ask you to help again."

The man gently placed one of his gloved hands on her chin and moved it to the right so the two would be making eye contact again. In her chest there was a short but sudden feeling of emotion towards the man but it quickly dwindled. "But If you can't, then I beg you Astrid please help me." What should she say in response to such a valid argument?

But was it valid? Was he right? Did she really think that dragons were worthless creatures? She had before, before the flight with the Night Rider and his dragon. But know, only Odin himself knew if she would stand with him or against him. After the moment had dragged on for to long she severed the eye contact between them and once again turned away, because she couldn't look him in the eyes and say it.

"I'm sorry but I can't help you." Her voice was pinched for a reason she didn't know. The Night Rider came up behind her and grabbed one of her hands from behind. "Why did you brake the eye contact." She winced at the words and her muscles tightened. "I broke it-." She shut her eyes, could she really say this?

"I broke it because-." She winced again shutting her eyes tightly but this time a single tear slipped out of her eye and ran down her cheek. Astrid thought back on her life in that moment. All the event leading up to this very moment. All the dragon training and the raids. The death of Hiccup by the very same dragon that sat just a few feet away from her.

The flight with the Night Rider through the clouds. She prepared a sentence in her mind. This sentence would not only decide her own fate but the Night Riders fate as well. She turned towards the man and locked eyes with him. "I broke it because I can't look you in the eyes and lie to you."