nineteen. through the dark

Start from the beginning

"What?" asked Derek.

"I know you heard me. I'm standing right here," said Webber.

Derek sighed, "Chief, I'm a little busy here. We'll talk about it later."

"Just give a verbal okay. We can do the paperwork later," pleaded Webber.

"I cannot do that!" insisted Derek.

"I am your Chief of Surgery. This is not a request," demanded Webber.

Derek continued to try and focus on the surgery. "With all due respect, sir, in this situation, I'm not your subordinate. I'm your doctor. One week after brain surgery, you are not ready to resume medical practice."

"It's a simple procedure. A needle biopsy. A resident could do it," stated Webber.

"So let a resident do it. What am I missing here?" asked Derek.

Meredith finally spoke in what felt like forever. "It's for my mother. You think she has cancer."

Webber nodded. "George needs your signature."

Mackenzie gave Meredith a comforting look as she went outside the sterile zone and into the other room.

"Look, I know she's your friend, but I'm not clearing you for surgery," continued Derek.

Webber left without another word. Mackenzie and Alex finished assisting Derek on the surgery before going to scrub out.

Once Mackenzie walked in, Meredith's face was filled with worry. "Mer...what's wrong?"

"It's Cristina. She's in O.R. three right now," said Meredith.

Mackenzie scrubbed out as quick as she could before running to O.R. three's gallery. She was the only one in there. She peered down and saw Cristina on the table. Addison was down there working on Cristina's baby. She despised Addison, but in this moment she prayed all good things would come to her if it meant Cristina would be alright.

Meredith joined her a bit later. The two sat next to each other, not taking their eyes off of their best friend.

"You know how I despise hugging," Meredith spoke up after a while.

Mackenzie nodded. "Yeah."

"A good shoulder to lean on wouldn't hurt right now."

Mackenzie let out a soft laugh and pushed her hair to her opposite shoulder. Meredith leaned on Mackenzie and the two watched the rest of the surgery.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Mackenzie almost bailed out last second, but she rushed into the elevator before it closed. Addison chuckled, "Thought you'd wait for the next one."

"I just wanted to say thank you for helping Cristina," said Mackenzie.

Addison shrugged. "Well, it's my job so."

"Yeah, I know," said Mackenzie. She was trying to keep her voice polite enough for this conversation. "Just...thanks."

"You know you've always been like a little sister to me. I'll always be here for you, even if you don't want me to be," said Addison.

Mackenzie didn't know what to say as the elevator door opened. She realized this was her floor. She gave Addison one last look before heading out. She found George, Izzie, and Meredith at the nurse's station.

Mackenzie sat by George on the counter, giving him a smile. "How's Cristina?"

"She's uh...She's gonna have a lot of pain for a few days, but she'll be okay," answered Izzie.

"I'm glad you were there," said Meredith.

Mackenzie nodded. "Yeah, same."

"Are you?" asked Izzie, bitterness behind her tone.

"Yes I am," said Meredith genuinely.

"It's just..." Izzie trailed off. "It's just that a lot of the time, it feels you two and Cristina are kinda over there and I'm here."

Mackenzie almost rolled her eyes at the comment, but Izzie turned towards her.

"And Alex is a nice guy once you get to know him," she continued. "He seems like a good boyfriend, Kenzie."

"Sure," mumbled George.

Mackenzie swore there was a hint of blushing in Izzie's cheeks when she said Alex's name. Hell, she would know, she's been around a blushing girl all day. Mackenzie couldn't ponder on the thought any longer as a doctor gave Meredith her mother's labs.

She scanned them over before handing them to George. "Let her know."

"What is it?" asked Mackenzie.

"It's benign," answered George.

Mackenzie sighed. She knew Meredith wanted it to be cancerous only so Ellis could receive morphine and relieve some of her pain.

She didn't call after Meredith this time. She let her walk away. Mackenzie leaned back against the counter and stared at Izzie (who was watching Meredith leave the hallway). Deep down - even if she didn't want to admit - knew Izzie had a crush on Alex.

Why?

Because she looked at him and talked in the same bubbly tone when she learned who the real Alex was for the first time.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

yeahhh, izzie definitely isn't likeable in this book lol. whoops!

also i love you all and thank you for over 30k reads. so here's a double update!!