Chapter 1 - The Future and the Past

City of San Fransokyo

Japan

San Fransokyo. 9 million inhabitants. Located on the west coast of the state of Honshu, Japan. Founded more than 100 years ago, this great city, true capital of modernity and scientific progress in the world, was the project of two scientific friends, a Japanese and an American, eager to combine their two nations into one and the same city. symbolizing the union of work and technology for future generations.

A new day was coming to an end and already, the first light of twilight was painted on the vault of the sky and the sun was slowly beginning its descent behind the ocean. On the sidewalks and in the streets of the big city, thousands of tired people were returning home after a day's work, in the irritating fine rain that was beginning to fall. Despite the onset of spring, bad weather was still present.

At the Institute of Technology, a veritable temple dedicated to knowledge, most of the students had finished their work for the day and while discussing various things among themselves, were returning home on foot or by passing public transport.

However, in the institute's laboratories, one of the students, despite the late hour and the end of classes, had lingered to work a little more ... sitting on a chair, the young man was more than concentrated on his work, typing at high speed on a computer keyboard while looking at the holographic screen displaying series of numbers that only he could understand.

Hiro Hamada, that was his name. With his puny appearance and short stature, you might take him for an ordinary boy, but he wasn't ... because he and his band of friends shared a secret.

A little over a year ago now, Hiro and his friends were able to stop the revenge plans of Professor Callaghan, who wanted revenge on the businessman Allistair Krei whom he deemed responsible for killing his daughter, believing her dead during a project that had gone wrong. But everything could have ended well, thanks to the intervention of these mysterious heroes that the press had nicknamed the Big Hero 6.

More than a year ... Hiro thought about it again, as if it had happened just yesterday. But despite this feat, a shadow appeared in his heart and made him lose his smile. It also meant that over a year ago his older brother, Tadashi, tragically lost his life, because of Callaghan.

Hiro had managed, with difficulty, to mourn the death of his brother, but the wound in his heart had never really healed. On the desk next to the computer, he stared for a moment at the framed photo of himself and his brother, making ridiculous faces. Hiro smiled softly, then decided to focus on his work again. But obviously, the result did not seem to satisfy him and his eyebrows furrowed.

_ "Raah, shit, it's still not enough." he moaned, letting himself fall against the back of his chair.

_ "Hiro?" said a voice familiar to him. A tall girl with long blond hair and wearing glasses walked in, dressed to prepare to go home and carrying a purse under her arm. Honey Lemon, one of his best friends and also a founding member of Big Hero 6. She was dressed in yellow, a color she wore often and which had earned her this nickname by Fred, like everyone else in the group. She had a pretty explosive personality, expressing her enthusiasm very easily, but she was also the most brilliant chemist in the institute.

Honey walked over to Hiro, also looking at the hologram and the negative results it displayed. She smiled and put her hand gently on her friend's shoulder.

_ "I don't understand ... I've been trying for weeks to find a way to improve my gloves to give them electro-magnetic repellents, but nothing to do ... I can't find the right process." Hiro growled, rubbing his eyes with stress and fatigue.