"Listen up! We're going on patrol!", Levi's voice said stern as he rode up to the four of you on his black horse. All of you saluted, Eren in an overly excessive manner.

"Good morning, Captain Levi!", he said, a couple of small droplets of stress-sweat piling up at his hairline. You giggled slightly. You have seen how hard Eren have tried to earn Levi's respect ever since you got here.

"Listen, Eren... Never fall two horse lengths behind me. Don't forget that the only reason you're not locked up is because I'm watching you", he warned Eren plainly.

"Yes, sir!", Eren said determined.

"Let's go!", Levi said and turned his horse. The rest of you quickly saddled up and joined him, Eren intently making sure to not fall more than two horse lengths behind Levi the entire time.

Riding your horse felt freeing now that you weren't too sore. Levi had been working all of you hard as much as he could each day, so a little soreness was not to be avoided. But it was a good kind of soreness, one that came after exceeding what you thought was your physical as well as mental limitations. You felt yourself become stronger on different levels during your time here with the squad, learning from their experiences and expertise.

*Flashback to last night's ceremony, Marco's POV*

We were all gathered by the wall of one of the buildings, quiet as we waited for the ceremony to start. Once again we were at the site of the big stage where we had the cooking competition last year, and it would soon be taken over by our future commanders. Everyone was feeling uneasy, the important decision we were about to make weighing us down. We had talked a lot about it the last few days, many still uncertain. I for one have already made my decision, set on following through with it.

"Jean, Marco. Are you really joining the Survey Corps?", Armin suddenly asked us astonished. We hadn't talked about it much with the other's, just mentioned it once a couple of days ago after having a good talk about it just the two of us. We both had our reasons for changing our minds, for me some parts of it of course being for selfish reasons, like just wanting to be close to Y/N again. But we promised her to choose independently, and that's of course what we did. I know what's at stake and would never hastily decide something so permanent and serious.

"Yes", I answered him, standing by my choice. Sasha shifted uncomfortably in her stance.

"Why tho? Why all of a sudden... We haven't really talked about it... Aren't you scared?", she asked worried. The feeling of guilt formed in the pit of my stomach, and I felt bad for not discussing it between the four of us. However, it was important for me and Jean to sort out our thoughts together- We have had the same goal from the get-go after all. I gave her an apologetic look, about to voice my apology when Jean spoke.

"Of course I don't want to join the Survey Corps", he said plainly.

"Th-then why...", Connie started asking. He had really been struggling keeping to his original plan, which was joining the scouts. The closer to the ceremony we got, the more uncertain he became. I know a part of him feels guilty, thinking Y/N is counting on him joining her. That's what he told her he would do after all, but I know Y/N would never hate him for changing his mind and I have reminded him of it countless times.

"It isn't that I decided that titans doesn't scare me. And I won't say something like, 'The best should join the Survey Corps'... I'm not as eager to die as some", Jean said, a silent jab at Eren.

"You mean Eren, huh...", Connie said, looking down at the ground. "He and Y/N already joined the Survey Corps...", he added to himself, like he was reminding himself of something.