Watching

He watched her as she walked down the street, shivering. It had begun snowing a few minutes ago, but it was already strong. He had seen the girl's friend walk by a few minutes ago, but now she was alone. The falling snow stuck to her hair beautifully, creating nature's crown.

He heard her singing. It was delightful, to say the least. Her footprints made a permanent trail in the snow. She must've been freezing, wearing her usual grey wool jacket, but there was a dress under it. He could tell even from where he was that her leggings were thin, and wouldn't protect her against the cold. She wore black flats, too. He could see the snow being kicked up into her shoes.

As she walked by on the sidewalk, he longed to reach out and touch her, give her his coat, walk with her so she wasn't alone. But he didn't. He knew what would happen if he did. People would see her with him and ruin her reputation -- though she wasn't very popular, either.

To say the least, he was afraid of rejection. She barely knew him, and had no intention of finding out, he thought.

The girl thought of many things as she walked down the snow covered sidewalk. She had had to go back to the school to get something she left, and her friend went on ahead because she had to go to her brother's bus stop.

She thought of her little fantasies, the ones where she did impossible things -- like now, for instance. She imagined meeting someone nice who would stay with her. She was afraid of being alone. Then, she felt as though she were being watched, but dismissed it as one of her silly stories.

~RoseStar13