Chapter 24: Gratitude

Start from the beginning

I was happy with my entire team's performance at Regionals. I was very proud, and Percy definitely deserved some credit for it. 

The announcers and other coaches conversed with Chiron and me as the teams got freshened up and packed to leave. Like everyone else, they were surprised and complimentary of Goode High's and Percy's (a blind athlete's) performance today. 

Pretty soon, the team came out of the locker rooms, and we were ready to go home. 

***

Jason POV

"BROOO, you made it to States," I cheered as I walked into Percy's room. 

There was no response. Percy was still sleeping even though it was already noon. I went over and quickly pulled his blanket off of the bed. 

For a second, there was no movement. 

Then, his hands tried to grab at his nonexistent blanket. Percy sat up in confusion as he felt around for his warm blanket. 

I couldn't hold in my laughter anymore, but I did feel bad about pranking my best friend. 

"Okay, time to wake up, Percy," I exclaimed brightly. 

Percy simply groaned as his head fell back on the pillow. It was understandable that Percy would be tired. After all, he performed very well at regionals yesterday. 

"Bro, come on, we have to go to lunch at Demeter's Cafe," I said. 

"Annabeth already reminded me by waking me up at 9:30 am," Percy groaned. 

"Yeah, I bet you weren't this grumpy to your girlfriend," I said slyly. 

"No, I suppose I wasn't. But, you know that I'm not a morning person," Percy murmured. 

I grabbed one of his pillows and chucked it at his face. "Well, Percy, it's not the morning anymore. It's literally lunchtime," I said boldly. 

"Ugh, you're annoying, bro," Percy groaned as he threw the pillow back. His aim towards my voice wasn't too bad considering he hit my stomach. 

"All right, then, let's go. Annabeth, Thalia, and Piper are waiting in the living with your parents," I informed him. 

"Annabeth's here?" Percy asked. Clearly, he was more awake now. 

"Yeah, of course," I said chuckling. "So, hurry up." 

Percy smiled as he got up. He was probably excited to hang out with his friends and Annabeth, of course. He grabbed the towel off of his desk chair and started walking towards me since I was near the door. 

I was about to step aside before Percy tackled me in a bro hug. 

It caught me off-guard though. 

"Uh, you should know that I'm not Annabeth. Still Jason, here," I said as I patted his back. 

"I know, bro. This is for you. You've always been by my side, and I wouldn't be this happy and okay after losing my vision without you here," Percy said firmly. 

I felt some tears spark in my eyes. 

"Percy, you'd do the same for me," I said. 

A few seconds passed before Percy spoke up again, "Okay, this is too awkward now. You can let go, Jason." 

I pulled away quickly as Percy chuckled to himself. Percy continued to laugh as he receded down the hallway. I was genuinely grateful to have a best friend/brother like Percy.