First Meeting Mickey Gregg

ابدأ من البداية

Frozen, I held my breath. When I saw her, I fell in love. And she smiled, because she knew. I know she knew. I felt something in the pit of my stomach that told me that she was someone I had been waiting for. Maybe I'm being dramatic... but maybe someday she will agree and admit that she felt the same.

"Hi." Her smile could have knocked me to my knees. Just one look and I almost felt succumbed to her angel eyes. The sounds in the room seemed to fade away. She asked, "did anyone tell you that this is an undercover unit?"

"Yeah," I answered. It was hard to remember what was in my mind before this conversation, I was getting distracted.

She gestured toward me with her pen and she asked, "then what's with the uniform?"

I looked down at my uniform and started stuttering, "I—uh..."

She chuckled, "you're fine."

I looked back up at her and shook out my hand slightly to try to shake my jitters out. Maybe I'm just nervous for my first day. I decided to start over and introduce myself, "Officer Tom Hanson."

"Yeah," she said and dropped our eye contact to look down at her papers again. "Heard you the first time."

I waited a moment because I was expecting her to introduce herself. She seemed stand-offish, and not too pleased that I was here. I finally asked, "what's yours?"

She dropped her papers on her desk and stood up and walked over to me. Now that she was closer, I could see her dark hazel eyes. She has really pretty eyes, they were hypnotic. It was like looking at an antique bookshelf or looking into a beautiful forest. They stopped me and stole my breath. I never really knew what I wanted, but when I looked into her eyes, it became clear.

She chewed her gum and said, "Mickey Gregg."

"How do you do, Miss Gregg?" I asked her, assuming that she was the younger sister of Doug or something.

"Officer," she corrected.

I raised my eyebrows in shock. Maybe it's because I have only worked with older men, but I would never have guessed that a young and attractive woman could be a respected police officer. "Officer?"

"Don't seem so surprised," she said, seeing right through me. She sounded like she was joking, but I don't know her well enough to know for certain. I just hoped that I did not offend her already. She crossed her arms over her chest and raised her eyebrows at me.

"I— I'm not," I stammered. I don't usually trip over my words, I don't know what had gotten into me. "I would have remembered you at the Academy."

"Maybe I would have rung a bell if you were there two years ago," she said. How old is she? I would never have guessed that she was older than me. I guess this is the perfect precinct for her to work at.

"Is that a fact? I guess I was a little too late."

"No matter how you slice it, you're here now so it doesn't really matter," she said, "coming to join our crew?"

"Think so," I said, looking around at the precinct. I still could not believe that this place exists. Who decided that this should be a precinct for police officers? It smelled like old wood and Hostess Twinkies, and looked like it was decorated by a preschooler. "This is an official... police station?"