F I V E

Shirley's profile picture didn't do her justice. Maybe it had been the lighting in the club—the pink hues and the long shadows—but the woman with a bright smile sitting outside in a sundress didn't match the sultry soft-spoken temptress who had grabbed his attention a few nights ago. Not that she didn't look beautiful in the picture. She did. Especially way she smiled: practically in mid-laugh, her entire face beamed, her dark walnut eyes twinkling with flecks of copper. And the thin blue cotton fabric of her dress hugged her curves just right. Her shoulder, cappuccino and sun-kissed, seemed to beckon for his touch. But the daylight also made her seem younger. Less adventurous. More straight laced. Certainly not the type of woman who would find herself pressed against a transgender vampire while dancing in a dark club.

The door swung open, allowing the ever-present fluorescent lights from the hallway to spill into the apartment. "Hi honey, I'm home!" Marco sang as he strutted through the door, closing it behind him with a flamboyant flair, his hair mussed, his eyes glazed.

Alexander snapped the laptop shut, pushing it off his lap and placing it on the coffee table. "Oh, hey," he said as he looked up.

"You look guilty," Marco teased as he walked into the living room.

"What are you talking about?"

Marco said nothing and instead scrunched his face up and waved his left hand with a wax-on-wax-off motion.

"I didn't do anything." Alexander tried to sound casual, but Marco's accusation had planted a seed of doubt.

"Maybe that's why you're guilty." Marco's voice trailed off. Then he stopped to assess the room, standing with one hand on his hip. With an exaggerated facial expression, he pointed next to Alexander. "Ha! I knew it! There!"

"What?" Alexander asked, confused.

"A dirty mug. You had a frozen meal again! What happened, Alex? I gave you the apartment." Marco sat down on the couch, his elbows propped on his knees.

Alexander glanced at the mug and then back at the laptop. "Well, I tried. I..."

"You tried?" Marco tilted his head sideways.

"Yes, I sent a message to a woman, and I met her at a cafe around the corner, but..."

"Hold up," Marco said, holding up his hands. "I told you to order take-in, but somehow you went on some awkward first date instead?"

Alexander opened his mouth to respond, but couldn't find the words.

"You look like a fish trying to breathe air. Is this the level of game you brought to your little date?"

"Hey, that's not nice. And, I tried to order in, as you suggested, but..." his words floundered.

"Oh, chill out. I'm just teasing. Go back to scrolling." Marco stood. "After the night I had, I think a shower is in order." He winked and walked away.

Alexander was left with his mouth agape. That's just who Marco was. Had always been. Loud and garish and unabashed, even when he had been a human talking to a vampire with blood-tipped fangs. Yet, even after over three decades as roommates, Marco could still leave Alexander speechless.

After waiting a minute for Marco to close the bathroom door and start the water, Alexander reopened his laptop. For the hundredth time, he read the message in his inbox: Hey baby; you said maybe another time. Is this a good one? - Shirley.

It was short. It should be easy to respond to.

His eyes scanned over the words again. He could feel the tension in his gut. A tingle at the base of his spine.