Nine

Chapter Nine:

They wandered off at different times. First it was Sam, who rose in silence and disappeared from the main room of the plane. Josephine shifted in her seat, sneaking a glance at Bucky. For the most part, he looked completely at ease, though she realized he was most likely used to this sort of thing.

"What exactly are you going to be helping with?" She asked, her gaze still on him. He looked at her, mouth set in a hard line. His face was made up of hard edges, long ago outgrown boyish features. She wondered if he had truly outgrown his boyish ways, or if they were ripped from him.

"Flag Smasher's is a stupid name." He looked over at her, "Don't you think?"

Josephine pursed her lips, "Kind of. Yes."

"I thought so too."

He resumed to staring blankly at the other side of the plane, Josephine wasn't sure of what to do, a theme she was afraid would repeat itself for however long she stuck around. There wasn't anywhere to go, so many thousands of feet in the air.

When Sam returned, he was in full gear. He wore red tinted goggles, snug over his eyes. His suit was sleek in its design, the colours of red, white and black blending nicely into one and other. He turned to retake his seat, showing a glimpse of a pack strapped to his back. Bucky rose next, giving her a look of concern before disappearing as well. Great, she thought. What a look to give someone before vanishing.

Sam studied her from behind his goggles, she stared back hoping he'd break the contact. He never did, instead he sat up straight and nodded slowly. "I'm Sam."

Josephine blinked, "Yes, I gathered that."

"He doesn't have many friends." Sam nodded to the empty space beside her, "It's kinda hard when you hit one hundred, ya know."

"Are you not his friend?"

Sam barked out a laugh, shaking his head. "Ha, nah, no. Co-workers. Acquaintances'. That's cute, though. How'd you get talkin' to him?"

"We're neighbours."

"Oh," His eyes lit up, "What are the chances. Wow. My neighbour is some guy in his twenties, incredibly rude and always stealing my newspapers."

She raised a brow, "Newspapers?"

"I read them." His eyes narrowed defensively, "They're looking to set sail another Titanic, you hear about that?"

"No."

"Ha. See. If you would read the newspaper, maybe you would!"

Josephine couldn't help but laugh, "You're a lot more laid-back than I was expecting."

He shrugged, his smile turning to a line. Like Bucky, he looked tired. Not in the way others looked, but as if one wrong move and he'd be crushed beneath invisible weight that only they felt. Josephine remembered being that tired, remembered all the looks she got, the apologies, which all quickly turned to worried glances and whispers. Her world had fallen around her once, and not too long after it crumbled again. Her sister had been her best friend, was still, yet not long after her sister's death, her mother followed suit without so much as a goodbye— unable to bear her youngest daughters passing. What about Josephine? She was still there.

Sam had said something else, yet his words disappeared before she could make anything of them. Instead she gave him a nod, watching as his expression turned serious. "Thank you, for all that you do. It must be hard."

Bucky had wandered in, so silent she hadn't noticed until he sat next to her, closer than before, arms brushing as he adjusted. He wore all black yet again, his suit tight and form fitting around his body. His gloves were still on.