Six

Chapter Six:

It was a little into the early afternoon, the sun shining down across the city. Josephine swung open her door, keys and wallet clutched in a hand when she came to a halt, staring up at Bucky who stood across from her with his hand up.

"Hello?" She raised a brow, a chuckle escaping her lips. "What's up?"

He pursed his lips, dressed in is normal attire of black leather jacket and matching gloves. She wondered if he ever wore anything other than black, and if it was comfortable doing super hero things in jeans.

"Train ride?"

Josephine stepped out, locking the door behind her. "Where would this train be going?"

"I'm gonna rephrase that question." He told her, "Want to meet Sam Wilson?"

She had to admit that after she went home the night before, she started searching up all about the worlds hero's. There was a lot, and quite a few who lived in New York.

"Really?"

He nodded, "Yeah. Why not?"

Josephine slowly followed him towards the end of the wall, to the stairwell. "I guess I don't have to go to work today."

He paused on a step, turning to face her. "Oh, well, if you have to work than I wouldn't want to--"

"I've been wanting them to fire me for the last few months, Bucky." Josephine shrugged, nudging his arm. She never really liked her job, and it begun as summer one, just until she found a more stable career. It never came, and she was still searching for it. Kind of. "Besides, I happen to like train rides and I'd like to hear more of your stories."

He held the door open for her, the air much cooler and crisp then it was the other day. She ducked under his outstretched arm, breathing in the air of the city. Bucky strolled next to her, his jacket zipped all the way up to his neck, his matching gloves slipped over his hands.

"Do you wear the gloves to hide your metal arm?"

He glanced down at her, "Yeah."

"It looks cool." She told him, "Definitely a conversation starter."

"I think it scares children. Sometimes, I mean."

Josephine snorted, "I think you scare kids because you stare at them all intense."

"I don't stare."

"Yes, you do." She told him, "Come on, don't lie to yourself, Barnes."

He rolled his eyes, a small smile on his lips as they came to a stop at an intersection. Another perk about their building was having the train station close by. Josephine never really had a reason to take it, she preferred walking.

"You're talking a lot of smack for someone without a vibranium arm."

"I could take you." She said, mustering enough confidence in her voice as the light flipped to a little walking figure. They began to cross, Bucky chuckling at her side. "Why are you laughing? I'm serious."

"I know you are."

She huffed, watching as people milled around. The streets were always crowded, a mix of locals and tourists blending into a faceless mob. Sometimes she missed her home back in Canada, a nice small town by the water, in an old charming farmhouse. It was nice, and she did miss the quiet.

"Why is that funny?"

"Because you're 5'2 and can't even walk for long without tripping or running into anything." He explained, "And I'm a trained military man."

Josephine glared, "Is that a threat, military man?"

She enjoyed when Bucky wasn't keeping to himself. Most days he was more soft spoken, but that's just who he was, she knew he couldn't help that. Yet on days like this, when he seemed comfortable, he opened up and let himself go.

The station was just as busy as the streets, yet Bucky grabbed ahold of her hand and dragged her through the crowds. "You've been to Washington?"

Josephine's eyes widened, "We're going to Washington?"

He stopped in the centre of the station, turning to face her. "Wait right here."

She didn't get a chance to say anything else before he was gone, swallowed up by the hoards of people rushing around. Josephine adjusted her cardigan, fiddling with a loose strand of yarn. A waft of station air floated by, crinkling her nose in response. It smelt of dirty feet and an odd aroma of flowers, deemed responsible by a man and his cart pushed off against a wall, she could see his mouth move as people milled by, clearly not interested in purchasing any flowers. Josephine searched elsewhere, not entirely sure where the ticket booth was, and if that was place that Bucky had ventured too. She couldn't see his looming figure amongst the people, and he wore all black which made it considerably more challenging. 

"It's this way."

The woman jumped, spinning behind her. Bucky stood holding two tickets, giving her a sly smile. "I will fight you." She said quickly, not hesitating. She needed to stop threatenig to fight people, incase someone ever took her up on it.

"I know," He raised a hand, pointing a gloved finger at a large sign with arrows pointing towards the other side of the station. "We gotta go over there. It leaves in five minutes."

"Five minutes?"

"Yup." He grasped her hand, taking off with her at his heel yet again. Josephine rushed to keep up with him, her hand in his the only way she hadn't already lost him. They ran through groups, Bucky hastily apologizing as they continued on their way. When they reached their correct  destitation, the last few people were filing onto the train. 

"Here," Bucky handed the man two tickets, breathing as if he hadn't just ran across an overly large train station. Josephine heaved in a breath, nodding when the man looked to her. He shrugged, and she was quickly trailed up onto the platform and towards a row of seats. "You okay?"

Josephine sat across from him in their little booth, nodding slowly. "I don't run."

"Yeah, I see that now." He laughed, "I wasn't even running that fast."

"Shut it, Mr I was in the army.

He shrugged, "Breathing like that won't help."

She glared, ceasing her struggled breaths. Instead she heaved in through her nose, trying to control said struggle. "If I could fight-- scratch that, if I knew I could take you, I would not hesitate to throw hands right now."

He only smiled, eyes shining a bright blue. Today they were as blue as the cloudless sky, she noted still trying to look intimidating. Instead, he only said, "Breathing like that, you won't."