Writing on the walls

(A/N)  This chapter was partly inspired by this video.. So yeah! =D

I frowned down at my soup, the brown liquid still gently swirling. Was leaving Henry really the only option? Was I just being dumb? Tom gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze as if saying 'you did what you needed to do.'

I sighed leaning onto him. "I hope you're right.." I shook my head as if that would clear my desperate thoughts. "So how is the rescue plan going?"

....

"If you went any slower I think I would have fallen asleep." Alice drawled.

I cleared my throat the danger of Alice fresh in my mind. "Sorry... I had a bit of...trouble with the ink demon."

"Excuses, excuses, excuses." She opened and closed her hand several times as if it were talking.

"The point is, I don't care. Your next job is to find out what idiot is writing on my walls, get rid of them and wipe it off. No excuses."

A sponge came out of the dispenser. "Make it quick." I rolled my eyes, grabbing the sponge and headed out across the wooden boards into the studio.

....

Hours later, I shivered the cold of the studio at night setting in. I had no idea where the writing was when I set out and still don't.

Tears threatened to fall but I held them back. The last thing I needed right now was the ink demon waltzing in and killing me, so I continued aimlessly stumbling around the studio in search of new writing.

Turning the corner I got a glimpse of odd smudges on the wall. Was that what Alice was talking about?

Close up the smudges turned out to be drawings. Poorly made, but drawings nonetheless.

I smiled despite my desperate circumstances. There were a few drawings of Boris, two familiar dead angels, and what looked like a poor attempt at the sun.

Unfortunately I had to wipe it all off. "Sorry about that. Nice angels though."

Continuing down the hallway I found another, but unlike the first this one was shamelessly drawn on a cut out.

They had given Alice angry eyebrows a very bushy mustache and a goatee. The top part where the halo had once been was messily ripped up, the pieces nowhere to be seen.

Adjusting the sponge in my hand I started scrubbing the mustache away. Just as the flimsy cardboard became mushy pieces, faint inky veins draped across the walls.

I froze. Fortunately I was done, unfortunately there were no little miracle stations nearby. My eyes raced around the room looking for a place to hide.

A table was tucked away in the corner of the room. It wasn't an ideal hiding place but it would have to do because the veins were getting darker.

Sliding under the table I held my breath. As if on cue the ink demon walked through the wall.

Ink dripped off it in great pools as it glanced around the room before continuing its invisible path through the wall.

After the walls became normal again I counted to five to make sure the coast was clear before getting out from under the table. My hands shaking like the nervous wreck I was.

No matter how many times that happened I would never be able to get used to it.

Taking a deep breath I started off again. I gazed at the walls as I walked down the hall looking for more of the strange art.

Unfortunately I was so focused on the walls I smashed face first into a wall.

I fell to the floor rubbing my head. "What the heck.." I grumbled looking up.

The Ink demon loomed over me a paintbrush in hand, his grin creepy as ever. I yelped covering my face, already preparing for a quick and brutal death.

Why wasn't I dead?

I cautiously opened my eyes to see it staring at me, but the second it saw me staring back, the ink demon quickly looked away refocusing on the wall.

"You're the one writing on the walls!" I blurted before I could stop myself. I slapped my hands to my mouth thinking I had just sealed my fate.

Surprisingly the demon didn't even glance at me but put out a hand.

I flinched expecting to be slapped. But nothing happened. The demon's tail swung back and forth as it looked at me quizzically.

Oh. It was trying to help me up. I slowly slipped my hand in its, the warm ink welcoming my freezing hands. "T-thanks."

A strange chirp came out of the ink demon scaring the heck out of me. It gave me a sheepish grin.

The intercom clicked to life startling both of us to death.

The ink demon's grip tightened to an uncomfortable degree, its sharp claws digging into my skin, the signature grin back.

While I started trying to run in the opposite direction my heart going a million miles per hour.

Both reactions reminding us how fragile our relationship really was.

Oblivious to the near heart attacks she just caused, Alice started talking. "Have you found the vandal is yet errand boy?"

I glanced over to the ink demon looking for a reaction but it just stood there giving me a teasing grin that practically said: 'Make your choice. And hope it's right.'

I gazed at my wrist in the ink demon's hand which it could easily shatter if it wanted to. "No..But I'm looking." I felt the grip on my hand loosen.

"Looking isn't good enough you brat my property is being destr-'' The ink demon snapped his claws.

"You'll be punished later, Alice has some guests to attend to right now."

The speakers went silent. I turned to look at the ink demon, but he was already painting on the walls again. "What did you do?"

He shrugged and grinned somehow managing to scare me without actually answering.

I turned to leave but the demon grabbed my hand again. "Look I have to go, Alice is going to be mad."

This earned a whine from the demon but he let go, seeming a bit embarrassed of his random shows of affection.

I dashed down the hallway towards Alice's domain for some reason feeling guilty about not being able to stay.

Maybe I could make it up to it somehow?