Hazel

I wait for Madds outside of the cafeteria. However, she's taking longer than I expected. She must've stayed behind to ask a few questions to her professor.

I look down at my phone and see that Noah has texted me. I smile at it and read that he has been thinking of me. And that he wants to go out this Friday.

I see no problem with that, but I did plan on studying. Maybe we could study together.

"Hey." I look up to see Madds come up to me with a smile. "How are you doing?"

"Pretty good. I--"

"Great. Let's go. I'm starving."

"Oh. Okay." I follow her inside and I know that she always goes to the area on the right. She says it's the closest she can find of French food.

Now I remember that the other day she was talking in French on the phone. I just understood Mom and Dad. Something must've happened with her brother, Adam. If she ever fights with her parents, it's because of him. Other than that, they are very close with her.

I've been wondering a lot about my mother. It hurts to see that she was serious about her not talking to me ever again. She must be happy. Finally free from me.

I go up to the table Madds has sat at and smile at her. "It seems like you've had a busy day today."

"I have," she says with a wide smile. "We're finally into the dissection of a mechanical bone. Hazel. You must see it. It's beautiful."

"I bet! Hey. I was thinking about that exam you said the other day."

"The Gifted Exam?"

"Yes. I think I want to take it, too."

"You're really smart. I think you'll make it. If I did, you will, too."

My heart is stabbed at this. "Wait. What? You took it already?"

She nods and furrows her brows at my sad expression. "Why?"

People always leave.

"Nothing," I softly say as I clear my throat. "I'm...I'm happy for you. What happens if you pass?"

"Well. You have the option to continue to Grad school or internship. I talked with Dr. Bloom. You do remember her, right?" I nod. "Well. She said that she talked with Dr. Goodwin and he wants to interview me!"

"No wonder you've been so excited lately..."

"Not just that," she says. "Mateo.."

"Ah. Right. The hot fireman."

"Not just hot. Sweet. Romantic. Loving. I really got lucky with him, Hazel. Who would have known that my rusty car would actually do good in my life?!"

"Mhm..." I slowly munch on my salad and Madds frowns at my silence.

"What's going on, Hazel?"

"Nothing, Madds. Nothing."

"That's not true. Was it Noah?"

"Why do you always think it's him? He's a good guy, you know!"

"No, he's not, Hazel. Please. I beg you. Do not continue talking to him. He will hurt you."

"Why? Did he happen to be one of the many men you screw?" Before I realize my words, it's already stabbed her and her jaw sets tight. Anger strikes up in her hazel eyes; making them dark.

"M-Madds. I didn't mean to--"

"I was just trying to protect you, Hazel. Don't come crying to me when he ends up hurting you. And I'm going to sleep at Mateo's place from now on."

"Wait. Madds--"

"Don't call me that! I hate that nickname!" She angrily gets her food and walks out. I turn to see her scrubs disappear around the corner. I close my eyes and hold in a sob.

People will always leave.