fifteen

"HEY, Eli! Wait up!"

Hawk slowed his pace, waiting for Violet to catch up to him. He didn't scold her for using his real name; She was the only one that he would allow to.

"What's up, Vi?"

Her heart fluttered at the new nickname. "Uh, so, I was wondering . . . Since, you know, Miguel's planning on asking Sam out today because Sensei told him to, and Sensei also gave me some advice and I've just been thinking of how to, um," she took a deep breath, and decided it was now or never. "Do you wanna go on a date with me?"

"Really?" he asked excitedly, although he remembered that he was supposed to be tough now and put his facade back on. "I mean, yeah. Sure. Sounds great."

"Great," Violet beamed. "Tonight at 8? There's a Goosebumps 2 that starts at 8:45."

"Alright. I can pick you up."

"Okay," Violet nodded. Deciding to be brave, she went on her tippy toes and kissed Hawk's cheek. "I'll see you later!"

Hawk stared after her with a dazed look on his face.

". . . See you."

"I need somewhere romantic, but not too romantic," Miguel was asking his friends for a place to take Sam on their "not date". They were all sat facing each other on the floor, stretching.

"You could take her to get tattoos," Hawk suggested.

"What?"

"I know a guy, just hooked me up with this bad boy." Hawk got up and took off his uwagi, revealing a large tattoo of a hawk across the upper part of his back. Violet's eyes nearly popped out of her skull.

"Holy fuck," Violet breathed. Miguel nudged her and smirked. She hit him back. "Shut up."

"I didn't say anything!"

"That is badass," Aisha said.

"Right? 14 hours in the chair."

"Are your parents okay with that, though?" Violet asked. A worried expression crossed Hawk's face.

"Oh, they have no idea. Definitely going to have to wear a T-shirt until college. Probably longer . . . Please don't tell them."

Violet giggled at the bit of Eli that shone through.

"Okay, well, any other suggestions?" Miguel asked again. He was stressing a lot over the date.

Aisha shook her head. "Don't look at me. Sam and I used to be friends. We're not anymore."

"But I need your help," Miguel pleaded.

"Fine," Aisha caved. "Um . . . I know that she likes chocolates and astronomy."

Miguel sighed in relief. "Okay. I can work with that."

"BANNED?"

Miguel and Violet shot up from their spots and quickly walked to their Sensei's office. As she walked in, she heard him angrily shout, "No, you don't ban me. I'll ban you!"

"Sensei, what's going on?"

"There's a lifetime ban on Cobra Kai from entering the tournament," Johnny informed them, clearly still angry.

"What? That's not fair!" Violet exclaimed indignantly.

"Yeah, well there's nothing I can do about it."

Miguel scrunched up his face. "What happened to never accept defeat? There is no 'no'?" Violet pointed at him, agreeing.

"That was girl advice," Johnny scoffed. "This is different, this is the real world. There are rules."

"Since when do you care about the rules?"

Johnny paused at Violet's question.

"We don't take no for an answer," Miguel added on. "You said that, you've got to fight this."

Johnny nodded purposefully. "You know what? You guys are right. I'm going to go down there—"

"Yeah," Violet cheered.

"—and beat their asses."

"Yeah— Wait, no, no, no, no!" Violet shook her head rapidly. "No, that— that's not what we meant."

"Maybe there's a more . . . delicate approach to this, Sensei?"

Johnny looked appalled. "The way of the fist is not delicate. Cobras are not delicate."

"Yes, yes, sorry. Forget delicate. I'm just saying . . . Maybe there's a smarter way to fight back?"