34. let it be as it is

"Ree, I -"

"HEY REE! REMUS!" A familiar voice called out to them at exactly the same time and as Mareena and Remus turned around, they saw Peter running towards them.

"Ree..Remus.. I.. need. HELP..." he said as he reached them, his face a deep shade of red as he gasped for breath.

"What's wrong, Peter?" Mareena asked as Remus and her exchanged puzzled looks. It was however only after a few minutes that Peter was finally able to utter a word.

"My transfiguration homework is due today and I have no idea how to do it! It's a good thing I saw you guys here. Can you please help me? Professor McGonagall would have my head if I turn it in late!" He said all this very quickly, his hands joined in front of him as he pleaded for help.

"Of course we will." Remus replied with a smile, while mentally cursing himself for not talking a little earlier. As he looked at Mareena, he figured she hadn't heard him and decided to tell her some other time.

"Don't worry, Peter," Mareena said with a determined look. "We'll help you give Professor McGonagall the best transfiguration homework she's ever recieved in her entire career!"

Remus softly chuckled to himself as he saw how eager she was to help. Mareena noticed him staring and smiled at him, hoping it would disguise her pounding heart. She also hoped her hair wasn't turning red.

Remus quickly looked away, the image of her smile still stuck in his head.

'Why am I feeling like this??'

"Thank you so much guys! I owe you," Peter exclaimed gratefully, quickly taking out his quill and parchments, oblivious to the tension in the air.

The three friends stayed by the lake as Mareena and Remus helped Peter finish his homework while doing their own at the same time.

Unfortunately, Remus never got the chance to tell Mareena what he had planned and now, he wasn't quite sure about it anymore. He figured it would be best left unsaid as Mareena would probably forget about his illness soon and the truth would just complicate things.

He liked the way things were at the moment - simple and perfect. He didn't want it to ruin their friendship; that was indeed the last thing he wanted.

That night, he snuck off to the Whomping Willow a bit earlier than usual as Madam Pomfrey had warned him of a possible early transformation. He was scared but tried to focus on other things like how this was the last full moon he would have to endure at Hogwarts. After that, the Christmas holidays would roll by and he would have to go home. He wouldn't have to lie to anyone.

James, Sirius and Peter had been sound asleep so it was a lot easier to sneak off. As he entered the Shrieking Shack, his chest felt like it was getting ripped apart. He let out a howl and everything went black, except for a lingering memory of a sweet smile that couldn't yet get out of his mind. Even during his transformation.

----------------------

As Mareena lay in bed, unable to fall asleep, her mind raced through a million thoughts. So far, Hogwarts was turning out to be just as she had imagined it to be and everything was just perfect.

Well, almost perfect. Except for the fact that her best friend kept getting ill - and she had a theory for that - she was satisfied with how her days were going. She had amazing friends, teachers and she got to learn something new everyday.

The only thing bothering her was Remus' condition. She hoped she was wrong; not because she'd hate him if it were true - of course not - but because she didn't want to think about him suffering like that. That would be awful.

She smiled as she remembered how the four boys had tried to sneak off to the Forbidden Forest a few days ago and consequently, been chased by Hagrid, the gamekeeper, in the middle of the night. The invisibility cloak had slipped off and they couldn't put it back on time as Hagrid had already spotted them. Oh! How fun it was!

Mareena and Juliana had watched from afar, disguised as cats, and had rolled around on the ground with delight at the amusing sight. Poor Hagrid. He probably didn't get any sleep that night.

Her thoughts drifted to her home and family. She wondered how her parents were doing and if her mom was alright. The healers at St. Mungo's had told them their mom's health would probably deteriorate with time. She only hoped time didn't run out for them.

Mareena felt a lump in her throat and willed herself to think of happy thoughts instead.

'Curtis would probably be reading a book in the attic right now,' she thought fondly as she remembered the young and pale-looking family butler.

He had been more of a friend to her and Juliana than a mere servant ever since Evangeline and Grace stopped coming over and she was really fond of him. Indeed, everyone in the family was fond of him.

She decided to send a letter home the next day and make sure everything was okay. She also couldn't wait for the Christmas holidays which were just around the corner. No matter how wonderful Hogwarts was, there was no other place like home.

Just then, there was a knock on the window.