025. what i read in april

━━━━ 025. PARANOIA
BOOKS I READ IN APRIL!

midnight sun made me hit my reading
slump so i only read two books rip but
here's my thoughts on them!

1. midnight sun by stephanie meyer (mar 16 — apr ?)
two out of five stars

so like ...first of all this book is i think over double the length of twilight (the book) and honestly there's no fucking reason for it except miss meyer doing the most. edward is a boring protagonist we all knew that but god he's so much more irritating as a narrator. like can we please collectively promise to never let smeyer touch his pov again bc god she made me hate him and like i don't hate edward, he was boring in the og series for what it was sure but i still kind of liked him and i really liked him in fics but in this ...i wanted to k word him ohmygod
the only reason i kept reading is because we get so much insight into bella's character (personality and otherwise) through this book that for the first time in the series she felt fully fleshed out and all the cullen family scenes were fun (also i have a rule that i have to finish every book i start it's exhausting) i made a deal with myself that i wouldn't read anything else until i finished this and that's the only reason i did finish it (well that and i borrowed it from the library (no way am i giving money to smeyer in 2021) and i had to return it by like mid april idk) the nostalgia factor and the cullen family scenes redeemed it a bit but not much i wouldn't read it again but at least i can say i have (and now i want to write a twilight fic)
also this confirms what we already knew that the relationship is toxic and edward is such a fucking creep practically stalking her but at least he's aware he's a creep ig

2. burn our bodies down by rory powers (apr 16 — 20)
three out of five stars

so, i've been waiting to read this book for a while now. i had planned to get it the same time i got wilder girls from the library but i ended up having to wait like a month to get this one and then i still waited longer because i wanted to finish midnight sun. and really, maybe i should've waited longer still.

i didn't hate this book, i didn't ...i just think that after reading wilder girls and all the anticipation waiting to read this book it was ...sort of a let down.

there's lots of parts i like — the difficult relationships between margot and her mom and between margot and gram. i liked the portrayal of family members with strained relationships that feel three dimensional. i liked that there were moments that cut like a knife and made me tear up because i can in a way relate to those relationships margot had. the beginning when the scene was set of how margot grew up and in the ending with her and her mom in the police station, they made my heart ache and i think the police station scene was probably one of my favorite parts of the book. i think the concept was cool, the things that happened and why they happened. i liked tess and i liked margot and i liked gram.

but i think a lot of the problems i had with this book came from pacing and how the concept was executed. i know that technically there were hints and clues to lead you to the final conclusion but nothing ever really felt solid, like i had a few ideas in my head but it felt like it could've been any of them and it wouldn't have made a difference. the book also just kind of dragged for me after the first few chapters and didn't really pick up again til more than halfway through. idk.

i wanted to like this book so bad but it just wasn't my favorite. idk maybe i'll try it again eventually because all my friends that have read it really seem to really like it and the reviews on goodreads were mainly positive, i just didn't like it as much as i wanted to.

here's my may tbr:
red, white, and royal blue by casey mcquiston
they wish they were us by jessica goodman
gone girl by gillian flynn
how to make friends with the dark by kathleen glasgow

i already started reading how to make friends with the dark but i didn't finish it, a lot of these are just recycled from last month bc i didn't read much in april