Episode 8 - Decision x By x Majority

Start from the beginning

"Where are we?"

"There's nothing here."

"Ahem..." Beans calls for everyone's attention. "Everyone, the Third Phase of the exam will begin here, at the top of Trick Tower."

"Trick Tower?" An applicant asks.

"To pass this phase, you must reach the tower's base alive. The time limit is seventy-two hours." The screen zooms out to show the tower in all its glory before returning to Beans. "With that, the Third Phase will now begin. I wish you all luck!"

Ging scoffs, "How generous of the old man. Seventy-two hours is plenty of time."

The four who had gone down that tower share a look, Leorio wincing sheepishly.

The applicants, particularly the main four, look at each other. They are seen on a low-key low-quality screen where a chuckle is heard. Someone snacks on a cracker with a gleeful look. "So it's finally my turn?"

Two other people are shown, one, a bald dude with large facial features, narrow eyes and thin eyebrows, and the other, with three visible scars on his face, two running across his eyes. The three appear to be watching screens surveying the examinees and the halls and rooms in Trick Tower.

"Ooh, so that's how they were watching us," Gon muses.

"Wh- How else would they?!" Killua shouts, "Through the eyes of a robot disguised as a participant? Or mini, flying bears holding cameras that no one can see?!"

"Wait, I didn't see any cameras though!!" Leorio says.

"Ah! You're right," Alluka notes.

"Suspicious..."

Back on the top of Trick Tower, the airship is flying away, with Beans calling out, "Everyone, please do your best!"

Gon leans over the edge of the tower, looking down to see how far it went. It went very far.

"Are we supposed to climb down?" Leorio asks.

"That would be suicide..." Kurapika says.

"Hmm," A smug voice sounds. The main four turn around to see Hunter examinee 86 with his arms crossed and a confident look on his face. "Maybe for an ordinary person." He starts scaling the wall, finding grips on the side of the tower. "But an expert rock climber like me can handle this, no problem."

"Wow..." Killua looks down, seemingly impressed.

"He's going down pretty fast," Gon notes.

The rock climber laughs to himself as he finds nooks and crannies to hold on, "Hehe. Looks like I'll be the first one to pass the Third Phase..." He suddenly pauses at the sound of whooshing wind. The loud beat of wings brings their attention to something heading the rock climber's way and he sweats.

From around the tower, large, freaky creatures with wings and six other limbs come screaming, nearing the rock climber who panics.

Alluka gasps horrified.

"Stop! Stay away!"

The four watch on, Leorio, Kurapika and Gon all surprised while Killua looks like a mix of disappointed and unimpressed. One of the creatures comes up from below and engulfs the rock climber as he wails, "No! No, don't!"

"Gah. Looking back, that is freaky," Killua comments on the creature whose bulging eyes were closed and mouth lined with sharp teeth was open, looking like a demonic, flushed, pleased, old man.