Chapter Twenty | MemoriesXReborn

Start from the beginning

Wait a minute. Didn't he say, Lynette?

When did she transfer from fieldwork to research?

There was a knock on the door, but Lynette walked in without waiting for my answer.

She shut and locked the door behind her and sat in the chair previously occupied by dr Cooper.

"___," she said with a hint of sadness.

"Lynette. When did you transfer?" I blurted out, and she looked shocked.

"Oh yeah...I guess you wouldn't remember that. I gave you a call a few months ago. I guess...there's a lot you don't remember...."

I must've looked puzzled as she quickly changed the topic.

Months ago? Was I really in a coma for months, or...was it brief like always, and it was my amnesia that caused my months of memory loss?

"___. Do you remember your full name, date of birth, and residence?"

I nodded and answered everything correctly.

"Now I'm going to ask you a few random questions. Is that okay?" She asked cautiously.

Why was she so stiff? We're friends. Is she putting on a show because of her new position?

"Ask away. It's not as though I've anything to hide."

"What is that supposed to mean?" She asked defensively, throwing me off a little.

"Huh? I was just stating...."

"No, never mind, I'm sorry," she hurried and avoided looking at me, looking at her notes instead.

Why were people refusing to meet my eyes?

Did I do something extreme again? Sometimes my coworkers would act afraid after news of my missions or what I'd survived. It was Nature to fear what was stronger; I can't blame them. It's not like I'm buddy-buddy with anyone. No. They're just subordinates. I hardly remember anyone's name. There's no point when they lack importance to the job or don't stick around for very long.

Lynette, Peter, Dr. Cooper, the nurses who cared for me, and my other bosses—Those are the only ones I need to concern myself with.

"Alice," Lynette spoke.

"Alice?"

"That's the name of the agent who replaced you on the mission after what occurred."

"And what exactly occurred?"

"That's confidential."

"My rank is above yours, Lynette; if you're going to be this formal, then I will be too—"

"Orders from Dr. Copper," she stared firmly. She wasn't going to budge on it, and I wouldn't do anything to upset the only real friend I had here.

"Back to Alice. I've been told to inform you she was unsuccessful and died in action."

I nodded.

"It's not like I was given any easy jobs. I just wanted to travel a bit and would go where needed; I didn't think that job would be so difficult. Actually...I'm not sure I remember what I was supposed to be doing..."

"Just intel on a suspicious group of people."

"And they killed Alice?"

She was silent.

"Essentially, yes."

"What does that mean?"

"That's—"