Chapter Eleven | AlpsXIvan

Start from the beginning

"Is she okay?" She asked hurriedly.

Ivan nodded at me.

I took the hint and nodded too, "j-ja. You know her; nothing gets that woman down," I joked.

Anna looked a little relieved, and Ivan smiled at me approvingly.

"You're right. She's so intuitive, too...she had me figured out immediately. I'm surprised she didn't know she was in danger."

I stiffened a little, and she noticed and looked shocked.

"You knew?" She accused.

Ivan's grip around her tightened.

"Nein! But...she did."

"Why didn't you do anything?"

"Because I'm a vampire! I thought human troubles were something easy to handle, not this. She didn't know vampires were real before us, so it's not as if she knew the threat level?"

"But she did know, didn't she?" Anna pressed, "she seemed worried about something when we caught up, she was hiding something, and Francis got upset about it," she recalled and pointed at Francis, who looked up worriedly at the mention of his name.

Francis decided to approach us and help me out, he asked Roderich to handle Antonio, which left him visibly frightened, but he complied and stood guard by the exhausted Spaniard.

"Anna, what about me? I wasn't listening," he admitted apologetically.

"You were upset with ___, when you were here last," she repeated, and she and Ivan looked at Francis, waiting for his explanation.

He paused, thinking of what to say that wouldn't upset Anna, and by extension, her new Russian lover.

"Oh, that. ___ liked to keep her past private...I don't think she was worried about anyone specific at that time."

"At that time?"

Francis decided to reveal to Anna the most recent events, "well. For a few months, a girl named Alice lived in town, but she went by Greta to everyone, so we didn't know her real name. ___ got a call from a supposed friend, Lynette, warning her someone was after her—"

"Why would someone be after her?"

"Um...let's just say she was running from her responsibilities and they...we're not okay with that...excessively not okay with it actually. What happened was Alice was in town blending in with everyone, creating enemies and alibis and keeping an eye on ___, and listening for any gossip about her. Well ___, intuitive as you say, she caught on to it and...there was a confrontation..." Francis left it at that, but Ivan tilted his head childishly and smiled.

"Alice is dead now, da?"

I looked away, and Francis looked at the ground, a sense of guilt building inside of him, "Oui...."

"Did ___?" Anna asked, not finishing the sentence, and Francis nodded.

"She's strong," Anna told herself firmly; she seemed to be convincing herself that __ would be just fine.

"You do think she's okay, don't you?" She asked, her eyes misty.

Francis gave her a sad smile but responded genuinely despite Ivan only wanting answers that'd make Anna happy.

"I believe she is. They went through so much trouble to get her—" he cut himself off.

"They?" Ivan asked, immediately catching on.

I cut into the conversation and excused Francis, "the people who took her. Or just the one...we don't know, but...why knock us out long enough to escape with her if they wanted to kill her? They could have just done it there, ja?"

Actually, I made a good point? I was just trying to solve the situation, but I think I may have just reassured myself too. They could've just killed her...but no...she was too valuable to them. After all, I knew what she was really doing...who she really was.

To my relief, Anna did look convinced, and Ivan purred as he petted Anna's head again.

"Anna, feel better now?" He asked her, and she nodded and leaned into him.

He smiled and turned around with her, bringing her to a couch in the den.

Francis and I shared a confused expression, and Francis gestured for my hand.

I gave it to him and, knowing Ivan was listening, chose to speak through tracing instead, 'how did those two?' He traced into my hand, and I shrugged and traced into his palm.

'No clue.'

I nearly jumped when I heard Ivan from across the room, "talking about me, da? Behind me back? That's not very nice of you."

I wouldn't look at him, but I felt ice-cold daggers in my back as he stared at me. In the reflection of Francis's eyes, I could see his childish expression still clear across his face.

He really freaks me out; what does Anna see in him? She only just got out of a horrible situation; I hope this wouldn't become one too.

Francis and I returned to Antonio's side, who was tightly gripping Roderich's hand. Roderich shot us a pained expression as he struggled not to yelp at the grip.

Francis quickly released Antonio's hold on Roderich and apologized to him.

"Toni," he said gently, crouching down to face him, "please don't hurt people right now. I know you want to, but it's not their fault, ci?" He pleaded, and Toni gave a small, slow nod.

Francis looked relieved to have a response and stood up, guarding Toni, to stop him from interacting with the others.

I heard a quiet voice greet me, "Hallo, Gilbert," I turned around and smiled at Lily. She wore a cute frilly dress nearly identical to Anna's.

"Lily, good to see you," I grinned and ruffled her hair. I received a glare from Vasch as I did so.

Before I could say anything else, she cheerily walked past me to greet Ludwig with a hug,

Ludwig immediately stiffened up and turned red as he greeted her, not sure how to reciprocate her hug without being awkward.

I chuckled, and he glared at me.

I turned away to sit on an unoccupied couch, hoping for just a second of peace before the clans arrived, but I could hear them in the distance and sighed.

Francis gave me a serious look, having also heard them.

"It's time," Ludwig spoke, and Vasch nodded and walked to the door.

He turned to us and sternly 'asked,' "you'll help me greet the guests. Won't you?"