Chapter Six | BerlinXBreakfast

Start from the beginning

"Really, because she thought Ludwig was hotter—"

"Don't bring me into this," Ludwig snapped at Francis and tugged on his ear to shut him up.

I mumbled and rolled my eyes.

"Need coffee?" Monika asked me, walking over with a pitcher.

"Nein. I think I need beer, not that it does much these days," I sighed, and she nodded, and Harold slid me a full glass, managing not to spill anything in the process.

Monika paused in front of Toni and poured him a cup of coffee.

"Toni. I know you're upset," she said sternly, "but you're being childi—"

I sped to Monika and slapped a hand over her mouth, and pulled her away to the kitchen before Toni could react.

She fought against me and wormed her way out, pushing me back into a wall, leaving a small dent.

"Dammit, we just fixed that wall," August complained.

"What just happened?" Ludwig called from the kitchen, in a voice that scared me.

Francis quickly distracted him while I confronted Monika—more like she confronted me.

"What the hell do you think you're doing!" She demanded sternly, her finger poking my chest, keeping me against the wall as she glared furiously.

"I think I'm trying to stop you from getting killed by Toni." I hissed quietly.

She huffed, "he wouldn't—"

I shook my head. "He would. I don't care how you think he's acting right now because neither does he; you're only going to make it worse."

"He's being a brat."

"No," my voice cracked slightly as I defended him. "No, he isn't. He's very upset, and he's trying very hard not to take it out on everyone because he isn't mad at them, okay? Garibald pissed him off, and he snapped a little."

"He clawed his face up," she protested, protective of the men she saw as her brothers.

"He could've done worse," that probably wasn't helping anything, but it slipped past my lips anyway.

"This is my home Gilbert, Ludwig is letting you stay here, but I won't tolerate this behavior, understand?" She asked sternly.

I shook my head, and she seemed surprised.

"No, Monika....look...." I pinched the bridge of my nose and took a deep breath, "please. Please just leave this alone, okay? You've never even met her, and you certainly don't understand our connection, okay?"

She seemed very displeased but walked off without another word.

Francis finally poked his head out from the kitchen to check on me.

"What's going on?"

"Francis, do you always tune things out? You should know damn well what that was about. Your mate is bothering them," I hissed, and he sighed.

"What should I do?" He asked me, looking serious.

"Eh? I don't know. I've never had a mate?"

"What did you do when Eliza was mad at you?"

"I ran. That woman has a temper and frying Pan collection with my indented face. I'm not giving her more," I said quickly, remembering her disturbing "art gallery" that she'd proudly show off.