Chapter Four | GilbertXFrancis

Comincia dall'inizio

"Hmm. I don't think I've ever observed that in my thousands of years."

"Ja. That's another thing about her. Even though she's so busy...she knows life is short. At least it's supposed to be..., so you have to take in the little things."

"Well, next time I see a butterfly, I'll offer it a cap of blood," Francis chuckled, and I laughed alongside him.

"So...Toni is asleep?"

"Oui, finally. He doesn't get like that often...it's been a long time since I've seen him act this way."

"Ja. You said he was more like that as a newborn?"

"Oui. He had everything taken away from him, as you know. So even now, he can get a bit possessive, especially of people, and he's taken a real...liking...to her." Francis almost seemed worried about how I'd respond.

Yeah, I knew I wasn't the only one to like her. Obviously. The awesome me can share a little bit, but only if it's them.

"Haven't you?" I asked, changing the subject from Toni.

"Moi? Of course I 'ave."

"So why do you like her then?"

Francis took a minute to think on it.

"She's very...different. I know she's neurodivergent, so I'm sure that plays into it, but it's more than that. Back in our days, someone like 'er would be seen as crazy or impolite or brazen. I'm sure to some people she still is but to me...she's a young woman who knows what she wants, what 'er boundaries are, what she's capable of, and what other humans are capable of. She's very wary at times and too trusting of others. She's full of contradictions and complexities I still don't understand. I want to, though...don't you?"

"Ja...how do you think she's doing now?"

"Alive at least."

"You're sure," my voice cracked, and I cleared my throat, trying to hide it. He looked at me, the concern in his eyes mirroring mine.

"Oui. You really think anything can kill that woman?"

I laughed, and Francis looked a little relieved.

"It seems people have tried." He said softly, staring at the ceiling,

"Ja...I still can't believe all that with Alice?"

"At least she tried to end things civilly as I suggested."

"Uh-Huh. I feel like she knew it wasn't going to happen, but I believe she did try...I mean, she was so upset."

"Mm...poor thing."

I nodded, and we both stared at the ceiling, lying side by side on the bed.

"Alice or ___?" I asked after a minute.

"Both. Alice was forced into the situation, and ___ was forced into the job and forced to kill or be killed. That's a difficult life to lead. It was more common back in my day...and in yours."

"Ja. I lived for battle and blood back then, until I met Vlad...then I was still surrounded by blood, but I wasn't very involved. I lost everyone to the early crusades and to that fire. My Vader too. Supposedly he left me to go to war to avenge my big brother's death. He was a child soldier, so he never had much a chance."

"Oui. Once we've taken charge and rounded the humans together under our law...there won't be child soldiers or big forest fires, there won't be mobs and forced prostitution and...and everything we went through."

"Ja. But...the humans won't like it. I wonder if they can thrive in captivity?"

"They'll learn. If it's one thing I know that never changes about humans, it's that they're very adaptable. They'll overcome everything, and when they can't win, they learn how to live a different way."

"Yeah. Do you think ___ will understand when she learns everything? I mean, everyone will get free medical assistance and housing and education...it might be cramped, but most lives should improve."

"I agree with you, but ___ may be concerned about friends and family."

"Ja. Things will work out, I'm sure...."

"When did you become an optimist?" He teased, poking me in the shoulder.

"When being a pessimist made life miserable. What's life without hope?"

Now Francis looked confused. "Okay, did you mature in a single night? What's going on with you?" He sat up, seeming more concerned than proud.

"Nothing, I swear. I don't always talk to you about this stuff, that's all. You're always with Toni."

Francis nodded in agreement, "we always invite you to do things with us."

"There's a gap, and you know it; it's awkward...." I admitted, and he frowned.

"I'm sorry, Gil," he leaned over me and kissed my forehead.

I grimaced at him and made a deal about wiping it off. He put a hand over his heart dramatically, "Gil, you wound me!"

"Oh, shut up," I threw the pillow at him, and he took it to the face and laughed.

It was awkwardly silent for a moment, then he cupped my cheek in his hand and leaned in to kiss my lips.

I didn't pull away.