Chapter One | TrioXBerlin

Start from the beginning

"Non! Toni! Make a left where!?"

Antonio didn't react, and Francis took a deep breath, trying not to lose it. He reached over Antonio's seat and rolled the window back up as it began to rain.

I usually loved a good summer thunderstorm, but this one just made me sad, not that I was in the mood for sunny skies either.

Francis looked for familiar signs as he navigated without the GPS in complete silence. I could tell he was struggling as I watched him grip the steering wheel a little too hard as he bit his lip.

"Stop the car," I demanded.

"Why?"

"Now," I said more firmly, and Francis rolled his eyes and stopped the car.

I stepped out of the car, and Francis began to argue.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Nowhere, we're trading places. Get in the back."

"Non, I am not trusting you with this car."

"Too bad, I'm a better driver than you anyway, not step out before I pull you out."

Francis glared at me, staring for a few seconds before giving in, knowing I wasn't going to back down.

"Don't you dare dent this car."

"Wouldn't dream of it, Francy. Just relax, okay, you need it."

Francis looked at me with concern but eased into the back seat, trying to relax though he was finding it difficult.

I shut the back door and walked around to Toni's side.

I opened the door, leaned over Toni, and unbuckled him as Francis watched nervously.

"Oi, Gil, what are you—"

I threw Antonio over my shoulder, and he didn't put up a fight about it either as I tossed him into the back seat on top of Francis and shut the door behind him.

I got into the front seat and took control of the car for the first time in years.

Antonio lay his head on Francis's lap, and Francis stroked his hair as a means to calm both of them down, and I started the drive to Ludwig's.

I was more familiar with the streets of Berlin than Francis or Antonio, so it made more sense that I drive anyway. Besides, keeping my mind focused on the road and not denting Francis's prized car was a good way to keep my mind off of everything going wrong at the moment.

Only fifteen minutes after seizing control of the car, we pulled into the driveway, where Chlodwig watched from the window, having heard us coming.

I got out of the car and shut the door quietly, knowing Francis would complain if it were too loud.

I opened Francis's door like a chauffeur, and he stepped out and pulled Antonio out with him. He refused to carry Antonio, so Antonio trudged behind us silently.

August opened the door with a smile on his face and ushered us inside.

"Welcome! What are you doing out here, Gilbert?" He asked loudly to get the attention of everyone who hadn't come to greet us.

I saw the only two women of the clan, Monika and Julchen, peek out from the hallway but return to their rooms uninterested in the reunion.

I was slightly offended, but I decided to ignore them too and just get straight to the point.

"We need to talk with Ludwig."

"Why?" August asked, curious, leaning in too close to me.

I stared at him until he took the hint and stepped back.

Francis chose to take over as he was typically better at getting information, but my fellow Germans weren't prone to fall for the silver tongue of a French man and looked ready to ignore him before he even opened his mouth, so I cut him off and continued.

"This is a very serious matter. Ludwig is the only one who can help us right now."

The cousins gave each other looks, and Chlodwig sped down the hall and reemerged with Ludwig, who was covered in grease, working on something in the deep basement.

"Bruder? What brings you here?"

"It's about ___-" I was cut off by Francis, whose voice shook in panic.

"___'s been taken!"

Antonio flinched at the words, and his grip on Francis' shoulder made Francis twitch in pain.

Ludwig's eyes were wide with surprise, and for a moment, he didn't know how to respond.

He took a deep breath and responded completely seriously, with a hateful glare, "by who? We'll kill them."