The locket—which I had already destroyed—would have been the next one he made. The ring after that. The cup was made last. I didn't know the time span between any of them, except that it was done after Hogwarts and the cup had to have been last.

Er... until Nagini, at least.

I knew I'd have to collect the Horcruxes eventually, but I had been admittedly postponing it since meeting Tom.

It wasn't like I planned on befriending Tom. At the start of making my list I never anticipated I could tolerate—let alone like—any version of Tom Riddle. Yet here I was. I had come to genuinely care for Tom as a dear, dear friend. He was arguably my best friend. Someone I had started to really count on, and trust.

Sure, there were some secrets I would take to my grave, but he knew more about me than even my family. We shared a staggering amount of views and interests; our thought processes lined up more often than they differed. He was charming, easy to talk to, had a good sense of humor... really there were a lot of things I liked about him that in turn made me like him.

I liked Tom Riddle. An awful lot.

I didn't want to recklessly destroy the Horcruxes, but I had to acknowledge that Voldemort was still a threat to my family. I could cripple him, destroy his allies and standing, but I hadn't yet come up with a way to destroy him without hurting Tom.

Hence my inaction against the Horcruxes.

But maybe...

Maybe I didn't need to decide that on my own.

So, Tuesday morning I got up early (really more like I didn't sleep Monday night) and went to the Room of Requirement. It took me six hours of searching but I eventually levitated the diadem into a protected bag then went to Lunar's Orchid to see Tom.

(≖‿‿≖)ノ⌒●~*

It was an hour before breakfast would be served in the Great Hall, yet Tom Riddle was already enjoying a quaint morning tea with blueberry scones in the living room. He was lounging in one of the recliners, amber colored tea in his right hand and a tome about Dark potions in his left. He did not notice my arrival, immersed in his reading.

I silently placed the diadem on the coffee table in front of Tom, drawing his attention to my presence in doing so. Tom finished his sip of tea before he delicately placed the teacup on the floating saucer to his right. He leaned forward in the recliner, slowly picking up and examining the diadem.

His gaze flickered up to meet mine, unreadable behind that loveable poker face.

I turned away, intent on returning to Hogwarts.

He did not ask me what it was, or how I knew where to find it. He did not ask for anything.

He knows?

Lingering at the doorway to the dining room without turning around I asked, "How long did you know?"

Tom's voice was warm and even, as if a friend were commenting on the weather. He said, "Since the day I entered your mind."

My grip tightened on the doorway. I did not respond, nor did I look back to see what I knew would be an angelically false smile.

"In the interest of honesty," he went on pleasantly, "I had intended to free the soul I sensed and have it completely possess you. Then either merge, or create a second body for myself afterward, depending on how things played out." He paused, and I could feel the smile in his voice as he said, "Your mind palace was exceptionally strong. I couldn't get near it, even when you slept."