No Funerals ☾ 7-19

I had stayed in Draco's arms somewhere outside of the Great Hall for a while, until we saw Harry arguing with Hermione and Ron on the stairs.

"Are you mad? You can't give yourself up to him!" Ron insisted as Harry turned away.

"What is it, Harry?" Hermione asked when he didn't respond. Blaise waved a goodbye and left to go help Madam Pomfrey while Draco and I ran up the steps.

"What's going on?" Draco asked, frowning at the trio. Harry had a permanent frown plastered on his face and looked between the four of us.

"There's a reason I can hear them. The horcruxes." He said quietly. I raised an eyebrow and we waited in baited silence. "I think I've known for a while, and I think you have too." The words sank in, and I felt my heart tense up. I had hoped my intuitions were wrong. I had hoped that my friend would be safe. Hermione started to cry.

"I'll go with you." She offered, stepping forward.

"No. Kill the snake. Kill the snake and then it's just him." Harry instructed. I felt Draco grab my hand. Harry shouldn't have to die. Not for this. Nobody should have to die. Hermione jumped forward and embraced Harry. I reached over and squeezed his hand, and Draco took the time to shake his other one. It shouldn't have to be like this. He turned and silently walked down the stairs, and out the doors. Alone.

-

We waited for a while. A long while. The four of us tried to get some sleep, but to no avail. I had spent my time trying to read the copy of Fantastic Beasts that Dumbledore left me, but I couldn't help but think of everything that had happened. Everyone who sacrificed themselves, and every sacrifice each of us had to make to get here.

It was hours before someone shouted that there were people crossing the bridge toward Hogwarts. The sun had risen, and we were all exhausted. It was Neville who first saw them coming. The Death Eaters, and him.

We all crowded into the courtyard, prepared for each of us to take a final stand against Hogwarts. Hagrid was in the back, ropes around his neck, and a body in his arms. Harry's body. Everyone was silent as they approached. Voldemort pushed the still body of a giant from the bridge. Draco and I stood with Neville and Ginny at the front.

"Who is that? That Hagrid's carrying. Neville, who is it?" Ginny asked, tears in her eyes. I put my hand on her shoulder, and Arthur wrapped his arm around her.

"Harry Potter... is dead!" Voldemort yelled. Ginny cried out in her grief, and Draco pulled me closer toward him. His parents were beside Voldemort, gaunt-faced and pallid. "Silence! Stupid girl. Harry Potter is dead. From this day forth, you put your faith... in me."

Every muscle in my body tensed. My hair went from black to even darker black, if that was possible.

"Harry Potter is dead!" The hope, it was drained out of every one of us as Voldemort cackled to his followers, their laughs echoing back. Bellatrix's standing out the most. "And now is the time to declare yourself. Come forward and join us, or die." Each and every one of us was silent, and completely still. It didn't matter that Harry was dead. It didn't matter that it was likely our last moments alive. Death was better than living in suffering. Some of us recognized that better than others.

"Draco. Draco!" Lucius hissed from across the courtyard. Everyone was silent and staring. His hand was outstretched, eager for any chance to please his Dark Lord. I turned to Draco, and he turned to look right back at me. Our eyes stared back at one another. The grey of his had turned silver, and seemed to glow in the early morning light.

"Draco." Narcissa called. "Come."

Before I was unsure, worried, but it was now that I knew I never had to be. Our journey hunting horcruxes was hard, and miserable. It had taken its toll on all of us. I could see it in Ron, Hermione, even myself, but Draco? In his eyes was the certainty and love that he had always shown, that I was too blind, to focused, to notice. He knew he was loved. He knew what was right, and he knew what side he needed to be on. He squeezed my hand and gave me the tiniest of smiles. For I knew then, and I perhaps had always known, that there was no other person I'd rather die alongside.