rain or shine ☼∞✧

- donah
high school au
UNEDITED <3

"what do you mean you can't come over tonight? my parents won't be home, we can blast music, and play games. it'll be sick," jonah says. "i have to go somewhere with my mom. she says it's "bonding time" or something," daniel says, making air quotes.

"okay, well we don't have school monday. you can stay saturday, and sunday night if you want," jonah states as they walk out of school towards the busses. "i'll ask my mom, but i'm sure she'll say yes." "okay, let me know, dani!", corbyn yells as he runs toward his bus. "i will! i'll call you later!"

two hours later...

daniel sits in his mom car tiredly, scrolling through his instagram feed. it had started pouring rain once they started heading toward the restaurant. daniel has never told jonah this, but he hates spending time with his mom. she loves him, and he loves her, but her mood can change in a millisecond.

"ah damn, more traffic. the restaurant might be closed by the time we get there," his mom, keri, groans. a text pops up on daniel's phone from jonah. you still with ur mom ? daniel types out a quick yes and sends it. "did you hear me?", keri questions. "hm. no, sorry," daniel replies. "of course you didn't." daniel just rolls his eyes.

he looks around the car for his moms purse. "ma, did you bring my inhaler?", daniel asks. she shakes her head, obviously still pissed off. daniel sighs deeply. "we might as well head home. get out of the rain," he suddenly suggests. keri nods. "you don't wanna spend time with me? you'd rather hang out with your friends like always?", keri says, making a u turn.

"mom, it's not like that. you said it yourself, the restaurant will probably be closed by the time we get there," daniel retorts. "you've been looking at your phone this whole time. i asked you questions about school, extracurricular activities, and you never heard me. i let it slide, but it's getting pretty disrespectful now," keri sasses. "i was just distracted. you're making it a big deal."

keri looks over in shock. "i am trying to have a nice dinner with you, and all you wanna do is look at your phone!" daniel rolls his eyes. " why does this happen every time we go out? i do one little thing wrong, and suddenly I'm doing everything wrong. i wanted to have a nice dinner with you too!" daniel lets out a cough. "the only reason i said we should go home is because it's raining, and it's dangerous to be on the roads. not to mention the traffic!" keri groans.

"oh, so suddenly this is my fault? i didn't say you did anything wrong, i just wish you would pay more attention to me when i'm trying to talk to you. and if you want to have that kind of attitude with me, you can walk home or find a ride somewhere else," she bashes. daniel scoffs.
"i'm the one with the attitude? you were just bitching to me about asking to go home, and now you're saying i don't pay enough attention to you? make up your damn mind." keri pulls over on the side of the road. "get out," she says.

"what?", daniel says in genuine shock. "you heard me." "mom, it's freezing and pouring rain. i don't know my way home," daniel pleads. "daniel, get. out. of. the car," she says through clenched teeth. daniel is over it. he opens his door, steps into the street, and slams the door. his mom speeds off. that's when realization hits him. where is he gonna go? and another thing; his asthma. he lets out a cough and holds his chest, trying not to panic. look at your surroundings, daniel.

a few feet away from him, he can see a green street sign. to get a closer look, he walks down the side of the road, making sure not to walk into the middle of the street. once he gets up to it, he realizes it says glendale drive. jonah lives near here. about ten streets down. daniel thinks it's his best bet.