Chapter 36 Morning Market

Start from the beginning

"This is the epitome of the capital. Crowded and noisy. I know that you're not used to having people packed up against you but I think that it's something you have to experience when you're already here." Ye An declared to Prince Adlai as she beamed proudly.

"I like it." Prince Adlai replied in the common tongue with his thick accent.

"Oh? Let's go then. One of the stalls here has the most delicious savory green onion pancakes." Ye An stated as she ushered Prince Adlai along without waiting for the rest.

"My lord! It's been too long!" The middle-aged pancake vendor's eyes twinkled when he recognized Ye An.

"Hi, good morning! I've brought some friends with me today." Ye An exclaimed.

"Well, that's rare! I don't think you've brought friends to my stall before! I will do my best to serve the most delicious pancakes for you and your friends then!" The vendor exclaimed while giving them a friendly smile.

"How is His Imperial Majesty so close to a mere pancake vendor?" Ah Lin questioned Xi Chen quietly as they arrived at the stall just a few steps behind the emperor and Prince Adlai with Sze Chang following them.

"S- He likes to sneak out of the palace. And looking at how close he is to the vendor, what he said about sneaking out countless of times before I came to the palace was not a lie." Xi Chen pursed his lips disapprovingly as the memory of that particular conversation resurfaced.

"Ohhh I like him more already." Ah Lin smiled mischievously.

Sze Chang nodded in agreement.

"Oh? You like to get into trouble too?" Ah Lin saw Sze Chang's nod from the periphery of his vision, the mischievous glint still in his eyes.

"I guess I like to think that I have the character for that." Sze Chang smiled good-naturedly.

"It's the thought that counts. So trust me, you're already there if you're thinking about it." Ah Lin said as he hooked an arm around Sze Chang which brought up a blush that was barely evident on the latter's cheeks.

Xi Chen shook his head for what seemed to be the hundredth time since Ah Lin's arrival at the capital as he walked closer to Ye An who was chatting with the vendor.

"Another friend?" The vendor asked when he saw Xi Chen approaching.

Ye An turned to look behind her to see who the vendor was talking about and her eyes met with Xi Chen's before she quickly turned away. "Ah, yes."

"He's a dashing young man." The vendor commented absentmindedly as Xi Chen took his place on the other side of Ye An.

"So how's it going since I was last here?" Ye An changed the subject.

"Oh, nothing much. I come here every day to sell my pancakes and then head home to my lovely wife when I'm done." The vendor smiled adoringly at the mention of his wife.