Chapter 27 - New years

Seeing him in person again broke your heart, you thought everything was back to normal but being in this room with him, stuck without a way out, who could blame the tears?

"Did I really mean nothing to you?"

"You meant the world to me, Y/n,"

"Then why'd you leave?"

~~~

New Years.

Unlike every other holiday, you agreed with your brothers on how stupid this entire celebration was. Who could blame your surprise when Mycroft was insistent on a party in his mansion.

You saw the invite list and realized why... it wasn't just close friends, these were the elites and no doubt Lady Smallwood's idea; it was funny to see Mycroft ignore how much she was attracted to him.

Your eldest brother bought you a dress along with Lestrade's help. Who knew those two would be so stylish? Maybe playing Lady Bracknell was good for Mikey.

Not one word had been spoken between you and Sherlock to past few days which you weren't mad about. You ignored him 24/7 and never met his eye.

Tonight, however, after much thought...

You still refused to talk to him. John looked dapper as ever though, and whilst you ignored Sherlock, you saw how he looked at his best 'friend'.

~~~

Music sounded too 'un-Mycroft' like meaning he had either gone mad or Lestrade had taken over. Evidently, the elite people were enjoying this much more as they danced inside with a few outlandish moves they wouldn't be caught dead doing in anywhere else; yet it was still pretty tame.

Walking across the stone path and into the open manor, Here comes the sun played out making you roll your eyes at Lestrade's taste with a smile.

As cliche as it was, you were the center of attention, but your attention was all on the couple across the room. The two boys, John and Sherlock, catching up with you after paying the cab.

"Great party, even better music," you wink to Lestrade who smiles softly.

"Love me some Beatles,"

"Seemed like the type," you laugh, grabbing a glass of champagne off your brother. "Smallwood, was it?"

"Yes, insisted on it, but left soon when Greg got hold of the music,"

"Everyone seems to be enjoying it," Sherlock hums as John gave him a glass.

"There are two options for tonight," you down the glass, and take another, "I get a hold of the music and get everyone on their feet instead of these few," pointing at the scarce dancers, you go on, "Or I get shit faced drunk and do it anyways,"

"The computer is right there,"

"Cheers, Greg," you clink your glass and walk away, slipping through the crowd of wandering smug eyes, you found the source. "Hmm, feels like this place needs something more upbeat," you snicker before changing the song making heads perk up. "Come on, ladies and gents," you call out gesturing for them to dance as you coaxed them with your own moves. (Me too by Meghan Trainor)

"I can't believe you three are related," John laughs shimming to the dance floor to meet with you.

"Neither can we," The Holmes' groan.

At the entrance, Moriarty and Sebastian walk in. A few gasp and avert eye contact as Jim grins, meaning to cause chaos only. Each step he took sounded deafening against the music- Now that was an odd choice of tune.

"We are in the right place, right?" Jim looks to Seb who nods. You see, Jim was told by Seb that this was a New Years party for the elite held by Lady Smallwood in her home. "Never thought for Lady Smallwood to be the type,"

Soon enough everyone was dancing like it was an actual party. Less sloppy and more refined no doubt, but the energy was booming as it should.

You carelessly swayed with each person, unlike a club these were less provocative moves. Gesturing at Lestrade then whispering to John, they both respectively got their other halves and dragged them to the space.

The relationship between you and Sherlock had always been the same since childhood when it came to arguments. No confrontation ever happened, you both hated that sort of thing so instead, eventually after some time, you would both calm down and forgive each other without a word, rather a small smile.

Mycroft was the same too, but if he wished to be right, he would ride that argument until you agreed with him or he would pester about it until the end of time.

Everything suddenly dropped though when you looked away. At the door, he was there, eyes staring at you longingly, angry at himself and hurt from his actions.

Out of everyone, you could deduce Jim like he was the back of your hand. He opened up and explained everything he felt comfortable with and you accepted every refusal to expand a detail: for that he loved you more.

And it was the same, you weren't one to hide your emotions, he knew when you were down—when you needed him or needed space. In this very moment, unlike every other, he didn't know what you felt. Your face was a blank slate and body tensed, unknown if it was a shock of joy or a shock of anger.

It didn't matter because as soon as you had saw him, your figure slithered out the crowd and away before he could blink. Jim narrowed his eyes at a slightly smug Sebastian, reaching for his gun only for Sherlock, to walk up.

"Moriarty,"

~~~

Oooo- anyways, I felt nice and your frantic comments last chapter made me happy

I'm busy with a lot of things Rn but will finish the last few chapters of my Sherlock x reader before posting it!

- Anna ❤️