|O4.

[Darajah in MM]

MAEVE LIV WELSH

There I sat, on my vanity chair as Darajah braided my curly locs into all back cornrows. It happened that even with all my persistence Darajah still found a way to convince me into leaving the house for that 'lil' birthday house party of hers with a trip to this new soul food restaurant that was recently opened.

I winced when she held the last braid a little too tight. "Owww! I told you I could have just used the hot iron to straighten my hair—"

"Shush it, lemme work these hands. 'Bad bitches' don't just happen easy, I'm tryna' make you look like Tay would do Ari." I rolled my eyes at her and continued to pout. Who are those people even?

Soon, she placed a wig cap over the cornrows and applied light foundation on it after spraying glue and all that. I couldn't even raise my brows without feeling a tightness on my hairline, it was uncomfortable!

Rajah took out the blonde wig she dyed again and straightened; it was lengthened than 30 inches or so it looked, and she started installing it on. I had my eyes fixated on this novel by Wahida Clark that Darajah brought for me to keep me from complaining much while she worked and to say I was intrigued was the least to say. The plot had me interested and the steamy parts weren't something I was used to but it was so detailed and well put together that I could feel the lustrous message it was passing.

I felt her wrap some material around the wig in the front after applying some gel and I had to shut the book for her to start on the makeup. She instructed that I shut my eyes all through the 'caking' process and I did, when I opened them again I was intrigued at the person staring back at me in the mirror.

"Day, I look so pretty," I smiled widely still staring at my reflection making her smile as well.

"That means you like it and I'm glad

"That means you like it and I'm glad. Lord knows I woulda' ignored you and dragged your ass outta here with or without you fuckin' with the look." I just laughed because if I knew Darajah well enough, she was always true to her words.

I touched the human hair and felt the nice texture, it must have cost much. "Day, how much is the hair?"

She poked me in the cheek lightly with her pointer finger and made a face at me in the mirror, "Don't ever ask me that type of question and make me snatch this wig off yo' head knowing imma have to install it back again and we got like few more minutes to get dressed... damn we almost late, come on and try out this outfit."