A not-so-Gleeful surprise

Start from the beginning

Gideon smirked. "I don't doubt it would. After all, you are a bit of a drama queen. No offense." He added quickly, hoping he didn't offend her.

Kathy gave him a reassuring smile. "None taken."

For once in a long time, the tension between the trio became nonexistent. They felt comfortable saying whatever they wanted even if it caused an argument. It was just like old times

Then they remembered how their friendship almost ended not too long ago. And they didn't want that to happen again.

So, as soon as it disappeared, the tension returned, stronger than ever. The trio could feel the change in the atmosphere as soon as it happened. It made them sad to see how bad things got.

But Kathy had enough of it. Instead of moping around hoping for things to change, she would be the change. She didn't know if it would work or not, but she had to try. She couldn't keep living like this.

"Guys we need to talk." She said.

Gideon shifted uncomfortably. "We are talking."

Kathy glared. "I mean about the elephant in the room. You know, the one that's been making us walk on eggshells around each other? Sound familiar?"

Pacifica crossed her arms and avoided looking at her. "I guess."

Kathy's glared grew angrier. "You guess."

Gideon sighed. "Ok, ok. We know, but are you sure you want to open that can of worms?"

"We don't have much of a choice now do we?" Kathy gave them an apologetic look.

Pacifica and Gideon sighed simultaneously. They knew she was right. Yet they could help thinking the worst was to come.

"Ok, where do you want to start?" Gideon asked.

Kathy, now more confident, stood taller. "I guess we should start from the beginning. Ever since we became friends again things haven't been like they were before."

"Well, can you blame us? That was the first obstacle in our friendship and we almost didn't survive." Gideon said.

Pacifica flinched as if she had been struck across the face. She knew Gideon didn't mean to but she felt he was a little too blunt.

Kathy however stayed calm and stoic. "Yes, it was. And we need to talk about it. If we want to be friends and stay friends we're going to need to be better. We can't just stop being friends every time there's a bump in the road."

Gideon coughed. "I'm sorry, I must she misheard you. For a second there I thought you just called the incident a bump in the road."

Kathy rolled her eyes. "Because that's all it was. A little bump in the road."

Pacifica scoffed and spoke up. "Yeah, if you mean little like huge or gigantic. We had a fight that almost finished us off."

"Oh, c'mon you're making it sound like this fight was going to kill us."

"Maybe not, but it almost ended us and our friendship. Is it our fault that we're trying to be more careful?"

Kathy crossed her arms and leaned on a desk. "I'm not saying we shouldn't be more careful. I'm just saying we shouldn't have to hide or change who we are just to avoid conflict. That's not how real friends act."

"Please! The only reason you're even talking about this is that you miss expressing your opinions!"

The words flew out of Pacifica's mouth before she even knew what she was saying. As a result, Gideon gave her a look of surprise. Even she looked a little shocked herself. Not too long after, the shock turned into fear and regret. She thought that this wasn't going to help their situation or end well. She expected Kathy to yell at her right there and then.