2

2 

Christine was fresh out of work. The whole day, she couldn't stop heself from writing everyone's name as "Dan."  He seemed great and she wanted to know him even more. So, as soon as she stepped out onto the familiar grey pavement, she started walking to her bus and dialed Dan right away. In fact, she liked him so much that his contact name had a little heart emoji next to it. 

Dial Tone. Dial Tone. Dial Tone. Dial Tone.

Dan looked at the number and smiled. The contact name was Christine with a little heart emoji next to it. 

Dial Tone. Click. 

Christine: Oh, I'm so glad you answered, Dan. I'm sorry if you're busy, though.

Dan lied.  

Dan: No, I'm not busy at all. I'm glad you called.

He laughed as he moved some papers over, ironic to the situation. He sighed peacefully. He was glad she called. 

What was she gonna say? Oh no, she had no idea.

Christine: So erm... How old are you, Dan?

Dan: I'm twenty-four, Christine. I'm sorry to ask, but how old are you, too?

Christine: I'm nineteen. I didn't even go to college. 

She whispered the last part.

Dan: Don't worry. I didn't either. You're making the right choice for you.

Christine ignored this and just sighed. Life advice was not her thing. She didn't like being all inspirational or hipster or whatever. 

Christine: So, Dan. Do you live in London?

Christine looked both ways before crossing the street. She was almost at her house. It was her safe place. She felt good there. Stable. Her "rich" parents paid for it. It was all good. It was small but close to her work. It was all good. All good. 

Dan: Yes, yes, in fact I do. You too, I suppose?

Christine: Indeed I do.

She grabbed the keys from her pocket and opened the door -somehow- with one hand. She set everything down and basically jumped on the couch. She was tired. It was 5 PM and she wrote at least 9000 words. No wonder she got the job. She let out a breath.

Christne: Dan, it's been a pleasure. You should text me.

Nice move, she thought to herself. 

Dan: I should indeed.