22. Good Night

- Seoul Yongsan-gu, Monday 19.7.2021 8 p.m. -

- Restaurant: Wooridoongji -

In the dark and quiet backroom, Chanhee's slightly shaking breath was the only thing audible. The noises of utensils and laughing coming from the dining area were muffled by the door that the boy kept shut with his dear life. 

"He's here. He's here! What am I going to do?!" the boy whisper yelled in panic.

Chanhee quickly locked the door and switched on the faintest light possible before going to his locker. He took his bag and every belonging he had, all of it happening in a rush. And just like his movements, his thoughts were dashing everywhere around the small room.

Out of breath, Chanhee stopped to think about the right decision once again.

Run away or face the fears.

From the corners of his eyes, he turned to look at the window behind him, feeling the strong temptation from it. He could just run into the deep night and never be heard or seen again. But then, on the other hand, if he did run away, exactly how many lives would suffer from it? He could also stay and try to take control of things. But then what could be the consequences towards him. For as much as sending the material to the police may sound easy, but when it endangers your own life, is it that effortless anymore?

Chanhee turned to look at the locked door then at the small window. His feet, starting to take small steps towards his own vested interest, also known as the window. But before he could open the way to his escape route, a mirror caught Chanhee's eye. The boy tilted his head while looking straight at his own reflection, now remembering how willingly his friend had let him stay hidden and escape the agony the childhood friend had to endure.

"What am I doing?" he said, aloud in pain and confusion.

Chanhee stepped away from the window, avoiding it like the plague. He threw away his bag and found a small piece of paper. After scribbling on to it, he placed his phone on top and left them behind. The boy looked into the mirror one last time before slowly opening the door to the dining area. Stepping out from the breakroom, Chanhee glanced at the part-timer and then at his manager with a smile.  He walked over to the kitchen's counter and closed his eyes for a second, trying to hide his true personality. He grabbed the dish full of crispy chicken and took it over to the customer.

"And here is your chicken. I hope you will enjoy it!" Chanhee said as brightly as possible, acting as if nothing had happened earlier.

But before the boy could flee away from the customer, the man took hold of the younger one's wrist. Chanhee hid his surprised face and turned to look at the man with a raised eyebrow.

"Was there anything else that you wanted, sir?" he asked politely, his voice not having any sounds of nervousness.

"Yes," the man answered but was soon cut off by the attention of the younger one's manager.

"Is everything okay here?" the manager asked while walking closer to Chanhee.

The man quickly let go of the boy's wrist and slightly lowered his head. Chanhee nodded quickly before assuring that everything was fine.

"He's actually my dad's colleague and coincidently came to our restaurant! Isn't it funny?!" Chanhee explained with a laugh.

The manager smiled slightly, nodded and walked back to the cash register, the boy quietly sighing out of relief.

"Nice one," the man snickered unobtrusively.

Chanhee turned around to look at the man again, his face showing everything else but happiness. "What do you want?" he asked in a lower tone.