Despite feeling compelled to help Simon, Asher Ericsson had a bit of a reputation. Everyone knew of him, and though he was new to his status of high school royalty, people already didn't want to piss him off. It was for this reason that his forbidding of people talking to Simon had spread so well.

Asher never did favors for anyone, not his friends, and not his family. It was even at first unknown to himself why he'd chosen to stick his neck out for Simon. But he had, and Asher never went back.

He was a certified mess, known to lash out or lose his temper with a moments notice. Most infamous was his possessive nature. Part of the reason Asher never did nice things was because he didn't like to share. He'd removed his co-captain on the team, and refused to split time with a backup quarterback.

Asher wanted to be front and center always. He wanted all the attention, and he was not going to share it. Nor was he going to share anything else. His teammates knew not to ask to borrow his equipment, water bottles, food, or anything else. Simply put, those things were his, and that was how he liked for it to stay, and he always got what he wanted.

"And then she said..." Garrett chattered on beside Asher, telling some story about how he'd struck out with one of the cheerleaders.

Garrett was real good looking, but it seemed like he was always striking out with the girls he made attempts with. Asher supposed all the good genes in the world couldn't make someone smooth.

He was bored with the story, which he seemed to hear slight variations of again, and again, and allowed his eyes to trail into the audience, until he spotted someone he'd been subconsciously keeping an eye out for the past few weeks. Next to the Sophomore that Asher had helped a few days prior was some boy with dark hair. Some new dark-haired boy encroaching on Asher's rules.

"Who's that?" Asher asked Garrett as he stared at the new kid.

"Who?" Garrett asked, pausing his story long enough to follow Asher's gaze.

"That boy over there. I've never seen him  before. He looks new."

"He probably is." Garrett shrugged. "What's it to you?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Nothing."

"Are you sure? It seems to be bothering you?" Garrett pressed, the bravest of the boys, and the only one to ever press Asher.

"I just.. was surprised. That's all. I'm gonna run to the bathroom, but I'm sure the rest of the guys would love to hear your story." Asher stood with his tray and walked off in the direction of the garbage bins, but not before he heard Garrett perk up to finish the story of his latest failure. Everything had someone changed, yet stayed the same for Asher, and he wasn't sure how to feel. Asher didn't know who that boy was, but he didn't like him.

"You're mine." Asher grumbled, fists clenched as he eyed the small boy. As soon as he said he frowned in confusion at himself and left the cafeteria.

...

"Can I sit here again today?" Shea asked on his second day at the new school.

     "Of course." Simon smiled. Each day with Shea things got a little easier. The stares seemed to pierce his back a little less, the loneliness seemed to subside enough that he found he could actually once again breathe. Shea on the other had had yet to try out for the football team, and didn't seem to be concerned with making any other friends, so the two had a steady relationship.

     "Did you do the homework for English?" Shea asked Simon during lunch. "That shit was so hard."

     "I did. I didn't realize we were even in the the same English class?"

     "Yeah." Shea coughed slightly, clearing his throat. "I uh noticed you were there the other day. I feel like we're in everything together, I guess I picked a good table to sit at." Shea teased. "Now I can copy all your homework."

      "Or I could copy all of yours." Simon prodded back.

     "How about we both agree, that if we ever forget to do something we can copy off the other person, then?" Shea suggested.

     "Works for me." Simon agreed. It was a nice security blanket though he never intended to use it. He'd still allow Shea to, nonetheless. When people still talked to Simon they sometimes used to ask him for his homework; those people just wanted the homework, and not Simon, but Shea seemed to genuinely want to be friends for real reasons.

     "When does football start?" Simon asked lazily.

     "Week from today." Shea replied without looking up from his sandwich. He had some sort of meat heavy sub, while Simon had a PB&J. "Gonna finish that?" Shea asked gesturing to Simon's sandwich.

     "What? Oh, no." Simon looked at the second half of his sandwich, grateful since he hadn't intended to eat it. "You can have it."

     "Thanks." Shea reached over to take it, "I never would have asked but I noticed you throw out half everyday, and I'm bulking for football." Shea smiled sheepishly, "I've got to gain fifteen pounds by Monday."

     "That doesn't sound healthy."

     "It's all about that grind!" Shea joked.

      "Are you going to ditch me once you meet the football boys?" Simon asked suddenly.

     "Nah." Shea smirked. "I heard those guys are super lame."

     "Yeah okay, Mr. Pokemon." Simon teased.

     "Shhhh! Someone might here you!" Shea joked. "Besides, I said I liked Pokemon as a kid. It's not like I like it anymore." He defended.

     "Whatever. I just hope all your new friends don't find out that you're a total nerd. But if they do, you can always come back and sit with me, because I'm a total nerd too."

     "Oh really?" Shea leaned back in his chair. "A Pokemon nerd."

     "Woah. That's too far." Simon smiled, and Shea rolled his eyes.

     "I'm not going to leave you. I don't know why you think that. If I didn't want to sit here, I wouldn't."

      "Okay." Simon nodded.

      "What class have you got next?"

     "Calculus." Simon replied, after pulling out his phone to check his schedule, "You?"

     "Geometry," Shea pushed his hair out of his eyes, "Damn. I wish I'd taken advanced math, then we'd have all the same classes."

     "Yeah." Simon nodded in agreement. "I have nobody to sit with when you're not around, and I totally miss you."

     "Aw. That's sweet."