Chapter 15

We didn't speak at all on the way back to the Apex haven, but looked back with doses of gloom hollowing our hearts, and the Mutants already climbing the burnt-out trees, cackling, squabbling and trying to kill each other, already going insane. Before we could believe our eyes, thousands of more Mutants came pouring out, invading new land and swarming more and more territory - how little chance we stood. Somehow the whole event made me feel more encouraged. More encouraged and determined to break every innocent civilian in the Masked City so they wouldn't have suffered what we created. Mutants were running amok out of their anarchy safe-hole. They were free to roam the land outside the city.

Everyone was in danger. The only safe place was truly the Masked City now.

We drove through roads without stopping, mouths dry and the only thing we knew next was not what we wanted things to be. Ming flashed Troy looks in the rear mirror, but Troy wasn't looking her way, but staring, fist on chin at the dusty landscape that blurred past him, a vacant expression on his face. I was beyond worried for my friend now. Troy had even said that he wanted to join the other Mutants, wanted to lose all humanity and become a savage. He just wanted the inevitable fate of becoming a Mutant.

And I had failed him. 

The pressure really weighing on my shoulders now, sagging me down, the car sped into the hideout which was still smoking, many members grunting and trying to reform it, piece by piece, carrying tools around the place, bloodshot eyed. Many mothers were sniffing in the corner, and a pang of guilt radiated in me. But the place really looked damaged beyond repair. They didn't intervene us, looking as though they tried to ignore our arrival.

I was fine by that. The car skidded to a spot neatly in a space at the garage opening, and Ming turned the ignition off, the car rumbling to dead-silence, except for a few yells happening upstairs. We just sat there, horror building inside us, as Ming slumped back and tried to mull over what had happened. What this atrocity could actually lead to.

"Listen," said Ming, rubbing her eyes as she perked up from her springy seat suddenly. She sounded weary. It was quite late at night when we returned, anyway. "It's late. Charles is probably going to be waiting for us. We can't lie - explain everything that happened. It's not our fault anyway."

That was the plan and it sounded good to me. 

LOL I HATE THIS BOOK

KARA EVERPOOOOOO

STUPID IDIOTS, I HATE THIS BOOK NEVER READ IT DUMBS