Once Bitten, Twice Shy, And Three Times is The Charm

Start from the beginning

Watching the black-haired girl point out the ancient Serpentine skeleton's features, Jay couldn't help but getting the strangest feeling of Déjà Vu.

Of course, this morning he had been more than relieved to discover that his horrible mistake had turned out to be nothing but a nightmare. Nya was well – and just as lovely as ever – nobody else could remember the incident, and it even was still the same date as in his dream. But then, why did all this sound so familiar?

Stop worrying. Jay kept reminding himself. And don't stare at her. Just listen to what she's saying.

It didn't help tough that her voice was just was beautiful as the rest of her...

"If one is able to wildly raise their heart rate," Nya was saying, "hypothetically it could reverse the venom's effects. Resulting in diminished interaction between the toxins and their target receptors, due to the increased release of endorphins and serotonin-"

Stupid hormones. Jay cursed inwardly.

"-and giving a boost to the immune system to attack the mutated cells." Nya concluded her lecture, just as the Bounty's alarm went off.

"Speaking of attacking..." Cole grinned. "Time to start stomping some Serpentine before they find any Fangblades."

Suddenly wide awake, Kai jumped up from his seat. "Sounds like a plan."

"I'm excited to join." Zane agreed.

Jay sighed. "Yeah, me too." He faked excitement.

He shot one last glance at Nya before he followed his teammates out of the room.

Maybe, he would finally ask her out tomorrow.

-----

Day 1.2

"Some villagers unearthed the remains of this Fangpyre a few miles away. It predates the Golden Age and must be hundreds of years old."

Okay, something was definitely off here.

This went way beyond anything Déjà Vu-y, Jay was now absolutely sure that he had heard this story before, and not even just once but twice.

The first time he had almost killed Nya – Jay was almost convinced now that it had actually happened. Luckily, Zane had reacted fast enough to get an adrenaline injection from the med room. But this was definitely not the way he had imagined raising her heartbeat. And speaking about that...

"Although the venom in the fangs of the Fangpyre genetically mutate human cells into reptilian, I've learned there could be a way to stop the effects without having to create an antivenom. If-"

"If one is able to wildly raise their heart rate, hypothetically it could reverse the venom's effects." Jay blurted out, cutting into Nya's explanation and causing all eyes – yes, even Kai and Cole's – to turn to him in surprise.

He blushed. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt you."

"No, no, it's fine." The girl gave him a reassuring smile. Wait, she didn't appear to be annoyed by his rude interruption. She seemed rather... impressed. "I-I was going to say exactly the same."

"Well," Jay flashed her a sheepish smile. "You-you know what they say, great minds think alike."

But, of course, Kai was less than impressed. "Are you done with your nerd talk?" He groaned, just as the Bounty's alarm went off.

"Ah, looks like class is over." Cole grinned. "Time to start stomping some Serpentine before they find any Fangblades."

"Sounds like a plan." Kai followed him out of the room.